Chapter Thirty: Needs

Cyrus woke to the sound of rain. The droplets beginning to trickle down the sides of the house actually startled him. He wasn't aware that he had even fallen asleep which had not happened to him in over a hundred years. He learned to control when he slept, and when he fell earlier, it happened naturally, unlike his usual conscious decision to shut down for a while.

After being with Faye, Cyrus needed blood, but he didn't want to go anywhere the night before.  She had curled up against him, still naked.  It was heaven, so he stayed, ignoring his thirst. The last thing he remembered was listening to the steady beats of her heart, feeling thankful that he was able to control his need when they were together. 

She was the first he had ever been with, and not drank from, but the thirst was no longer something he could put off, it would be dangerous.  Looking at her sleeping form, he stroked a hand down her delicate spine causing her to stir slightly. 

He glanced at the clock. It was just before seven in the morning and he didn't want to wake her, so he withdrew his hand and reluctantly slipped from the bed.  He rearranged the covers up around her so she would not grow cold, and hoped the rain would lull her into a deeper sleep like the rhythm of her heart had done for him the night before.

Cyrus left the room to have a drink and find her some breakfast. He left his blood carrier in the closet of the spare bedroom. When he got it out and opened it the sickening stench of putrid blood greeted him. He looked at the setting and saw that he had not turned the coolant back on. His fangs popped through his gums at the anger he suddenly felt. He hoisted the box over his head, but stopped him self from throwing it against the wall as he'd indented.  It would only wake Faye.

Instead he carried it to the kitchen and emptied the remaining pints down the drain in the sink. He rinsed the bags clean then disposed of them in the trash. This was a huge problem. He needed blood and aside from taking advantage of some random human there was no way he could get it in the state of Montana. If he used his number at a blood bank it would give his position away

He took a deep breath and tried to clear his head. He knew he was going to have to find a safe way to get blood, but he thought he had a couple of weeks to deal with it. He would make it another day, maybe two, so long as he didn't have sex or get into a fight, and ate, a lot. That reminded him about breakfast which was now a necessity for him as well.

He opened the refrigerator and slammed the door shut upon seeing its barren shelves. He clenched his fist and closed his eyes in frustration. They still needed groceries.  He had no choice but to go shopping. 

Cyrus dressed silently in a pair of jeans and a white t-shit. He was going to leave Faye a note and hope that she didn't wake up while he was gone.  He didn't want to leave her alone, but there was no way he was taking her off pack land to go to a grocery store. It was extremely unlikely that anything would happen, but he wasn't gonna risk it.

He was looking for a pen to write her a note when he saw the small green light flashing on the security system console indicating a delivery, it was the flowers finally, which gave him an idea. He took one dozen straight into the master bathroom. He pulled the silken petals off a couple at a time inspecting them for perfection then spread the ones he deemed acceptable into the bathtub. Once there was a nice layer, he laid out a couple fresh towels, placing a single long stem on the top. Then he made a trail from the bathroom door to the bed using some more long thorn-less stems.  He left the remaining white roses in the crystal vase they came in on the night stand next to the bed with a note that read:

My Sleeping Beauty,

If you awake while I'm gone,

Do not fret I wont be long.