Chapter Twenty-Seven: In too Deep

For the second time in one day Faye was heading back to Howahkan the Shaman's.  She was anxious to get whatever was coming over with. It was like a complete one-eighty from how she was feeling earlier. When Cyrus said he had to talk to Howahkan abruptly there was no way she was going to let him rush off without her.  She couldn't afford to miss a thing and not because she didn't trust him, she did.  Whatever he had to see the guy about had something to do with her though, and she decided she wasn't going to sit back and wait for things to happen. If something involved her she was going to take part in it, ready or not. 

And when they pulled into Howahkan's driveway she was more on the not side than the ready.

Cyrus looked over after he put the truck in park and her uncertainty must have shown because he asked, "You sure about this?"

"Nope."

"Do you want me to take you back?"

"Nope."

"Here then," and he lifted his sweatshirt enough to pull the gun he kept trying to give her, out of the waist of his jeans. 

"Oh good lord, when did you even grab that?"

He held it out to her ignoring her question, "For your peace of mind."

That thing was not going to bring her any peace and she opened the glove box, "You're all the piece of mind I need."

He smiled at that and she climbed out of the truck not giving him a chance to try and put it in her pocket.  She watched him lean over and stow it away, then he was at her side taking her hand, leading her to the backyard.  It was nearly dark and she could hardly see until they rounded the corner.  The fire pit had a giant blaze roaring allowing for quite a bit more visibility. She could see clearly the four sets of eyes locked on her. 

Howahkan, the women from the house, and two big, burly guys were standing, staring directly at her. 

"Nothing can ever just be easy," she mumbled as they walked over to them.

The woman stepped up first. She looked a little older than Faye, but not by much. Her hair was just past her shoulders and it cascaded down in tight auburn ringlets. She had pale blue eyes and a pretty face. She smiled and asked, "Are you alright," all soft and delicate like she was trying to be careful not to upset her.

"Yeah," Faye answered, nodding her head as she took a breath to steal her courage because she owed the woman an apology. 

"About earlier... I was rude, I'm sorry," and she hoped she sounded sincere because she couldn't afford to be on anyone's bad side.

"There's no need to apologize. The old man gave us a mouthful about you, I'm having trouble swallowing it all myself, I can't imagine how you're dealing," and then she came up and hugged her like they were old friends.  It was awkward, but Faye went with it, and when she released her Howahkan spoke, "I did not realize you didn't know about your mother. I'm sorry that you had to find out like that."

"Ok," was all Faye had for him on that, and the woman started talking again, "I don't know if you heard me earlier, but I'm Elsie, and Faye if you need anything don't hesitate to ask me ok?"

"Or any of us," said one of the guys, drawing her attention.

"Faye, meet Louis," Cyrus said, motioning to him.

Louis had short brown hair and a heavily angled face. He looked mean, like he belonged in a biker gang.  The only thing he was missing was leather. He stepped up and reached his hand out so she took it. They shook quickly and his grip was surprisingly gentle compared to his size, "Nice to meet you."