3) The Conversation

Vennela's Point Of View

*****

Vibha was lying in my lap. She finally fell asleep after a long cry. I cried along with her.

"What will we do now?"I asked to her and I knew that she had no answer.

Amma kept calling me continuosly while it was raining heavily outside. Finally I decided to pick it up

"Vennu where are you both? Do you know how many times I tried calling you both"she shouted and I wiped my tears.

"I'm -- sorry Amma. My phone was in silent mode"I said

"Where's Vibha?"she asked and I looked at her who is in my lap. I caressed her hairs.

"She's with me. I came to meet Sana in her house and took her along with me"I lied. I could hear my mother's sigh of relief from the other side.

"I got worried when you both didn't pick up my calls. When are you coming back?"she asked

"We -- we will stay back here Amma. It's raining heavily here"I said.

"But Vennu you have to join tomorrow right?"she asked.

"Yes Amma. You please don't worry. I'll go from here and I will send Vibha in the morning. You eat well and sleep"I said.

"Okay fine. Call me in the morning"she said and I cut the call. Then I realised that Amma might spot the blood in the washroom. Vibha's phone is also left there. I decided to get back home early in the morning.

I sat there for a long time , wondering how Amma will react to the news. Sleep unknowingly occupied me.

Next morning Vibha was holding into my arms tightly. I decided to go and meet Anand and come into a decision.

"Akka I'm worried about Amma. I don't know how will she react if we --"

I held her hand and stopped her

"Nothing will happen. We can't hide it from her either. We should let her know the truth"I said and she sobbed.

"Vibha there's no point in crying. It happened and now we should find a solution. Please stop crying. I told you right. I'm always with you"I said and she hugged me again.

I asked Sana to take care of Vibha before leaving the hospital

"Just come soon. Dr. Jay is a bit short tempered. So be punctual"she said and I nodded

"I will try"I said and left

On the way to my house my heart pounded. I know that Amma won't be able to digest the truth. But I should make her strong enough to face this.

I reached back home and I saw her sitting in the couch with her head buried in her hands. I took a deep breath and walked to her.

"Amma?"I called her softly. She raised her head to look at me and I realised that she's angry

"Amma I --"

"Is Vibha hiding something from me Vennu?"she asked and I stood frozen.

How does she know?

"I --"

"See"she showed me Vibha's phone and I saw infinite number of missed calls in her phone from Anand.

"Who's Anand? Does she know him?"she asked in a go.

Come on..Speak the truth

I said to myself.

"Vennu say something. Where's Vibha? Tell me the truth. Where were you both yesterday night?"she asked again.

"Anand is her boyfriend Amma"I said first and I saw her sighing in anger.