31) Verdict

Jay's Point of View

*****

I was driving the car with my heart pounding as equal as the accelerating vehicle. Vennela was sitting next to me, glancing me from time to time to know whether I was doing fine. Anand and vibha was sitting right behind us. The journey was a silent one.

We were on our way to the court. Dad's case has its final hearing today and we all are equally tensed. I knew everything was going to be alright as we had proofs against shradha. But the budding restlessness made my mind blank. My body was cold. I wanted to get over it already.

I didn't knew what dad might be going through right now. I really hope he's okay. I had no idea how to face mom. My head was feeling heavy.

Vennelas hand slid into mine over the gear. I glanced at her when she squeezed it gently. She tapped her fingers and held my hand, firmly. I smiled. I knew she was trying to calm me down. My heart felt ablaze and also chilled.

I could also feel the tension in Anand and Vibha, even though they were keeping straight faces. I wish I could let anand know that whatever happened was not his fault. He'd suffered more than enough. I didn't wanted him to take the blames on him again

I pulled up the car in front of the court and stepped outside followed by others. I quickly dialled to Sreenivas Iyyer, my Dads lawyer and his friend. He's a successful lawyer in his early forties. He was waiting for us outside.

"There's nothing to be worried of Jay. We have all the proofs against Shradha. Your father had already been prooved innocent. These are just official formalities that we have to bear with. So be relaxed"Iyyer said when i met him.

"Thank you so much for standing by him sir. Means a lot to us"I thanked him.

"No mention young man. Your father had helped me and my family for a long time now. It's actually kind of a payback"he said and I smiled politely.

"Lets go? Its almost time"he said. I nod and walked behind him. Anand was standing along with vennela and Vibha in the verandah. I motioned them that it was almost time. Anand nodded and took both the ladies inside. I walked in behind them. We all got seated in the benches, arranged inside the courtroom.

I bit my lower lip and shifted uncomfortably, eyeing the hall.

"Jay. Please relax. Everything is going to be okay"vennela said as her fingers slid into mine again. I gripped her hand.

My eyes fell upon Mom, who was seated amoung others in the bench. Besides her sat Divya Akka. I waved at her. Mom didn't spare us a glance. I sighed deeply.

Shradhas parents are also amoung the people. Her father was looking at me like a blood sucking vulture. I wasn't scared. All I was thinking about was the protection of my dad and my family. I would go any extent to protect them. Although for the past few days he had tried hard to get his daughter out of the laws clutches. But sometimes money can't get you anything you wants.

Few minutes later i saw dad being escorted to the room along with two policemen. He didn't had any cuffs. His face was straight and expressionless. From his look I could see that he haven't eaten and slept quite well. My heart pained seeing him like this.

Then I saw Shradha being escorted inside the prisoners dock along with two police women. She had cuffs. Her face was pale white, eyes red and hairs scattered. I felt a light sting in my heart seeing her in that condition.

She was the woman I loved.

I don't know if I had done something terrible enough to make her go against me. She was the one who cheated on me. She was the one who'd dragged our entire family into this disaster. But love is like poison. Once it takes hold of you, it seizes off the senses and choke on you.