43) Deep Wounds

Govindapuram, vennelas village

Vennelas Point of View

*****

I was staring blankly outside the car while Jay was quietly driving. My eyes moistened as memories of being here back in my childhood days kept passing in my mind. My heart felt strangely heavy to come back here after all these years.

"Do you want water?"Jay's voice took me back to sense. I looked at him and he was already holding the bottle in my direction.

"Jay this is for the 16th time you're asking me to drink water. I told you. I'm fine"I said.

"Hey you have to stay hydrated. You're going back to your village. I'm pretty sure you'll be running around doing all the chores and wasting your energy, since it is your cousin sisters marriage. So you're gonna be exhausted and I'm the only one to take care of you madam"he said making me massage my head.

"Just concentrate on the road Jay. We're almost there"I said.

"I have to say that your village is so beautiful bangaram"he said making me squint my eyes.

"Stop calling me that"I said.

"Did you forget that we're not divorced yet and to your family I'm still your loving husband?"he said. I shook my head and looked outside the window.

After twenty minutes we reach my ancestral home. The sight around makes my heart peaceful. Jay stopped the car while I came outside, looking around.

"Arey, vennela is here"I heard mavvayas ( uncle ) voice which made me smile wide. Everyone came rushing outside. I walked towards them and Attaya ( aunt ) quickly took me for a bone crushing hug. I hugged her back tight.

"Vennu, how are you dear? It's been so long"she said emotionally.

"Really long"I said and went to hug my uncle followed by others.

"Come inside babu"my uncle said to Jay. I turned towards him who was standing silently watching us and still didn't bother to remove his sunglasses.

Seriously?

I sighed inwardly.

"Oh yeah sure"jay said and then went back to get luggages. Mavayya stopped him and pushed him inside the house, insisting that he'll take them.

Jay and I walked inside the house together. I see so many people around. Some of them are my relatives while the others were the villagers who had come to help.

My relatives huddled around Jay, asking questions. He didn't knew to whom he had to answer first.

"Jay babu..you're coming here for the first time. We're gonna consider you as our special guest. Vennu, make sure that you take him around our village before you leave"mavvaya said making me smile and nod.

"Where's ammama?"I asked turning towards atta.

"Don't ask. She is mad at you"attaya said leaving me surprised.

"Mad at me? Why?"I asked.

"Your ammamas biggest wish was to see you get married here right? But your marriage happened in a sudden that too back in the city and she couldn't even attend. So she's angry on you"atta said leaving me guilty.

"Vennu don't listen to her. You know your ammama is gonna melt down the second she see you"mavayya said. I smiled.

"Oh my god akka!"I heard a voice which I quickly recognised as my cousin sister bhoomis.

"Bhoomi?"

I see her dashing downstairs in a hurry. She came running towards me and quickly took me for a tight hug. I smiled and hugged her back.