24) Torn Apart

Anand's Point Of View

*****

It's been so many weeks I've met Vibha. The last time I met her she had asked me to prove my innocence. Only then she would believe me that I did not kill my child.

I tried.

But there was nothing which would prove me right. No one could help me. I know she's still mourning over our loss. More than myself I felt miserable for her condition. She have no one around her to hold on. Vadina stayed back with her for few days and then asked her to shift to our new house. She refused. I know she would. My presence would disgust her.

I hate myself for doing this to her. But I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. A drop of tear escaped my eyes and I quickly wiped it off, concentrating back on my question paper.

I could barely concentrate on my exams. All my exams just sucked! Anna and Vadina tried their best to teach me everything they could. They were more worried for me. I don't know if I can make it. But I tried as much as I can.

After exiting the exam venue I came outside along with Sharan and waited for Anna. Sharan left after few minutes. I dialled Anna's number. He didn't pick up the call. I guess he would be busy with work and decided to get back by my own. Just then I received his message telling me that he had went for his rounds and he would be here in ten minutes. I waited.

I was scrolling through my phone when a guy approached me.

"Anand Reddy?"he asked. I tilted my eyes to look up at the guy who was his chewing something inside his mouth, staring at me. I felt like I've seen him somewhere before

"Yeah?"

"Anna is calling you!"he said pointing his finger to a distance.

I saw a jeep being parked at a distance. Few men stood around the vehicle and one amoung them was sitting on the top, watching me coldly. I instantly recognised the other guys, except the guy on top.

The same guys with whom I fought that day on the bar.

What are they doing here?

"He's calling you. Come"the man who approached me said when he noticed me standing still, blankly. I composed myself and walked towards them.

"Anand Reddy! He's the one who got you all beaten up that day right?"the man sitting on the top jumped down to the ground. I kept standing still looking at them

"Look at him. Tiny fella. Can you really raise your hand and slap someone?"he asked. I clenched my fist but I didn't say anything. I forced myself to keep my mouth shut

"What do you want? That day we solved everything in the station itself"I said.

"You've hurted MY brother. Not only him, my whole men got beaten up by you. How dare you even think of raising your hand against them? Did you think I'll leave you just like that?"he shouted while his eyes turned red with anger. I still didn't loose my coolness

"Anna, I'm sorry that it happened. But I was drunk that day and mistake is not mine. It was them who started the fight first. My brother had given them money and they promised that they won't bother me hereafter. I don't want to get into another fight again. Please let me go"I turned to leave. A man blocked my way. I shook my head and started moving again but this time they pushed me by my shoulder and punched my stomach.

I fell on the floor and coughed

"You're no one to order me. Get and fight back if you're a man"he roared. I wiped the blood from the corner of my mouth and got up in my feets