Chapter 31

The eyes of Gordon slowly opened up. The first thing he saw was the ceiling. He was sleeping on his back. He took a deep breath and then yawned. His body was numb. His head was still aching, but, it was not as intense as the night before. He slowly stretched his arms and he turned to his right. He squeezed his eyes and took small breaths. His breaths were warm. Still lying on his right side, he noticed that the curtain separating him and Drew were closed. He slowly moved the curtain a bit to see if Drew was fine. However, when he did so, he noticed that the bed was empty. Drew was not on his bed.

Gordon got worried. He let go of the curtain and he tried to wake up. He felt a moderate pain in his feet. He placed his feet on the ground and stood up. He took a step forward. His ankle ached and he was limping. He limped to the door of the room which was already opened. When he was outside the room, he placed his hand on the wall next to him so as to support himself. The hospital was pretty much evacuated. He could barely see any people walking around. He could see mostly nurses and doctors rushing here and there.

"Good morning," he heard a voice. It was coming from his left.

He turned to his left and he saw Drew sitting on a bench. He had his brown book opened on his lap. When Drew saw him, he closed the book and kept it on the bench. He stood up and walked towards Gordon who had already started limping towards the bench. Drew approached him and grabbed his arm to help him walk. Gordon successfully limped to the bench with the aid of Drew. He sat down immediately when he reached nearer to the bench.

"It is still painting," he complained.

"You should not walk too much," Drew advised.

Gordon nodded. Drew sat next to him and he pulled up the book. He placed it back on his lap.

"Did you sleep well?" Drew casually asked. He was acting normal. As if he had forgotten everything that happened the day before.

"Not really. I was not able to sleep due to the pains, but, the medecines I took made me doze off," Gordon replied.

"Me too. I couldn't sleep well. I woke up around five a.m," Drew replied.

He then started to flip the pages of his book.

"What are you reading?' Gordon asked.

"I was reading about parasitic spirits," Drew said. He stopped flipping the pages.

Gordon leaned his neck nearer to Drew and peeked into the book. It was written on the top, "Parasitic Evil".

"It is written that parasitic spirits are very fast energies. They search for bodies to live in. Once they possess a body, they stay in it and eat its organs," Drew explained.

Gordon's eyes shifted form the book to Drew and then from Drew back to the book. He listened attentively to whatever Drew was explaining.

"Those spirits can be bribed by humans," Drew continued.

Gordon looked at him with confusion. "I did not understand," he said.

"There exists a ritual such as black magic. Some people use this as a medium to connect to the other world, that is, the world where those parasitic spirits live. There is a method to invoke them," Drew continued.

"What is that method?" Gordon asked.

"They use a perfume," Drew replied.

"A perfume?" Gordon made sure he heard him right.

"Yes. They prepare it. The ingredients are not mentioned in the book, but, it is written that the perfume they use smells very bad. They spray it on the body which they use as a bribe to the spirit. It is said that the odour of the perfume is so strong that it is smelt by those spirits. We as humans, we find the smell pungent. However, the parasitic spirits find it divine. They love the smell of that perfume. When sprayed on the body, they can smell ot and they are attracted to it. They then approach the body. The one who reaches first gets to keep the body. They enter it and they live in it as a parasite," Drew explained.

"Oh," Gordon gasped. He then continued, "I guess the liquid that Devine had poured on Chloe was nothing else, but, the perfume."

Drew nodded.

"What else is written?" Gordon asked with interest.

"After possessing the body, they make a deal with the person who invoked them. They agree to do anything the person would command them and in turn they keep the body," Drew said.

Gordon placed his fingers on his chin and said, "So, Devine invoked a spirit into the body of Sabrina and Chloe. She then ordered them to murder people. But, why did she want to kill those two men?"

Drew's gaze were lowered. "The answer to this question has gone together with her," he said in a low and sad tone.

"I'm sorry," Gordon apologised.

Drew raised his head and blinked. "Whatever happened, happened for the best," he said.

Gordon gave him a smile and rubbed his arms. There was an awkward silence between them. Drew focused his eyes back to the book and he continued reading the pages.

After a few minutes, he finally looked at Gordon and said, "There is nothing to worry about. Chloe will not cause any further damages."

"Are you sure? She is roaming around with an evil spirit inside of her," Gordon questioned as he raised an eyebrow.

"It is written that when the job is done, the parasite keeps staying in the body until it feeds on every organ. After it consumes everything inside the body, it leaves on its own. The spirit can live on the body as long as it wishes to. However, if we want to make it leave the body, we will have to wash away all of perfume from it," Drew continued.

"So you mean to say that, the spirit will only feed on the body and it will not make Chloe do anything bad?" Gordon asked.

"Correct," Drew replied.

Gordon pressed his lips into a thin line. He thought for a second and then he said, "We should probably find Chloe. She is the only daughter of Alicia and we should give her a proper funeral. We need to bury Sabrina's body too."

Drew nodded and he agreed with him. They sat there for a few minutes. Suddenly, the nurse that was attending Gordon the night before was walking towards the room, holding a tray. She saw Gordon and Drew sitting on the bench, so, she headed towards them. There was someone following her. It was Veronica. She had a band aid on her forehead. She smiled when she saw Gordon.

The nurse reached nearer to them and said, "You woke up already. It is still seven a.m." She then handed the tray to Gordon.

The latter took the tray and he saw biscuits and two cups of coffee on it.

"Have your breakfast," she said and then asked, "How is your feet?"

"Still aching, but, better," Gordon replied.

"Okay, finish eating the biscuits. I will attend you guys later," she said as she smiled. She then walked away.

Veronica approached nearer. "How are you?" she asked as she took a seat next to Drew.

"Good," Gordon and Drew replied simultaneously.

Gordon moved a bit further to leave a small space between him and Drew. He then carefully placed the tray between them. Gordon took a mug of coffee and sipped it.

"Have you met Alicia or Miguel?" Gordon asked Veronica.

"I was with Miguel the whole night. His arm is aching, but, it has stopped bleeding thankfully. However, I have not met Alicia. Dr Sam did not allow me to," Veronica explained.

Gordon nodded and he took a biscuit. They were all quiet and they had their breakfast while sitting on the bench.

A few minutes later, they were done with drinking their coffee. Veronica decided to break the silence.

"After Chloe attacked Miguel yesterday, what happened? Did you find Devine?" she asked.

Drew lowered his head. He felt uncomfortable and he did not know how to respond. Gordon noticed that Drew was feeling strange.

"Everything is solved right now. A lot happened since the last days. Let's take some rest and let's wait for Alicia and Miguel to get better. After that, I will explain everything to all three of you. For the moment, things are still a bit complicated to understand," Gordon patiently explained to Veronica.

Veronica was an understanding woman. She nodded with a smile.