Chapter 2

3 weeks later

Chloe sat on a couch in the living room and waited for Miguel to come down. She was wearing a long sleeved crimson blouse with a pair of blue jeans. She held a brown clutch on her lap and she played with her car keys. Her face was still dull. She had eye bags under her swelled up eyes. Her skin was dry. She hadn't been able to overcome her sadness yet, but, she tried her best to act normal. She was slowly accepting the truth. The atmosphere was silent. She was feeling very uncomfortable although she was nowhere else, but, in her own house.

After the death of Sabrina, she stayed at her mother's house for three weeks. She didn't return to her home at all and Miguel kept waiting for his wife to come back with patience.

Miguel walked down the stairs and saw Chloe sitting on the couch. He had just finished working out. He was wearing a white shirt that hugged his body and a pair of grey sweatpants. He had a towel that hung around his shoulders. He took a deep breath and his lips curved into a smile. His heart felt happy when he saw his wife finally at home. He made his way towards Chloe as he removed the towel from his shoulders and wiped off some sweats on his forehead.

Chloe noticed Miguel rushing towards her and she immediately stood up.

"Hi," Miguel greeted as he walked closer to her.

However, Chloe didn't greet him back. She hesitantly nodded and then she looked away. Miguel noticed that she was feeling uncomfortable, so, he stopped a few feets away from her. Chloe sat back again. Miguel took a deep breath and pulled a chair from the corner. He placed it in front of her and sat down.

After two minutes of silence, Miguel finally decided to talk.

"Chloe, thanks for coming back," he said.

Chloe, who was looking at her hands while playing with her car key, raised her head and looked at her husband.

She swallowed a lump of saliva and talked, "I came here to collect some of Sabrina's stuffs."

Miguel's eyes opened wide with shock.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

Chloe tucked her hair behind her left ear. The more she stayed in that house, the more uncomfortable she felt.

"I'll take some memories of my daughter and then I'll leave," she explained as she looked away.

Miguel got up from his seat and knelt in front of her. He held her hands.

"I... I thought you came back. Please, stay!" he requested.

Chloe stood up.

"I'm in a hurry, can I please get the stuffs?" she requested.

Miguel stood up too and they were both very close to each other.

"Chloe, you cannot do this," he whispered with a broken voice.

Chloe lifted her head and looked into her husband's eyes. Her eyes were teary and they were filled with frustration.

"Why can't I?" she asked.

"If you could kill my daughter, then I can do whatever I want to do too," she said by emphasising on the word 'kill'.

Miguel grabbed her shoulders.

"It was an accident. Believe me," Miguel explained.

However, she was not ready to listen and she tried to push him away. She was furious. Miguel grabbed her hands. Chloe tried to push him again, but, she was too weak.

"Chloe, let's sit down and sort it out," Miguel suggested, still holding her hands.

"I don't want to!" Chloe shouted.