Chapter 4

After a few minutes drive, the police van stopped in front of the cemetery. The gate was already wide opened and there were two men standing at the entrance. One of them was bearded and he wore a brown shirt with a pair of black shorts, while the other had a thin moustache and he was wearing a dirty, green T-shirt with a pair of brown pants. The one with the moustache was smoking a cigarette as he leaned against the wall. When the police Van stopped in front of the cemetery, he threw the cigarette on the ground and he stepped on it. There were two  shovels that were kept against the wall.

It seemed like Gordon had made all the arrangements. That man was ready to go to any extent to find evidences.

Chloe gave Miguel a look of concern. Gordon looked at them through the rear-view mirror. He then got out of the vehicle. Chloe and Miguel got down too. The sun was scorching. There were no houses near the cemetery. The latter was situated at the end of the town and it was on an abandoned land. Very few cars passed by and they were the only ones there.

They walked inside of the cemetery. The two men followed them with their shovels in their hands.

"Where is the grave?" Gordon asked.

Miguel and chloe walked in front of him and lead him to the grave of Sabrina. Gordon observed the headstone on which Sabrina's name was carved. He stood near the grave with his hands on his waist. He then turned to face the two men with shovels.

"You can start," he ordered.

He then turned to Miguel and Chloe.

"You can wait at the entrance if you want," he suggested.

"We are good," Chloe said.

"This is going to take a lot of time. Let's go back. You didn't eat. You'll feel weak under this scorching sun," Miguel explained to her.

"No, I'll be fine," Chloe insisted.

"Mrs Davis, he is right. They won't finish sooner, so let's go back in the van, moreover, I have questions for you," Gordon talked.

Chloe finally agreed and they both went back into the van. Two of the police officers stayed back with the two men who had already started to dig up the grave. Chloe felt a stab of pain as she walked away. As a mother, she didn't know how she would react after seeing the body of her daughter in a grave. Fear filled her body and her stomach was heavy. She might throw up anytime.

Once in the van, Gordon offered them water, but, they both refused. They were not in a state of swallowing anything at that moment.

"So-" Gordon started.

"-what story will you tell me about how your daughter died?" He completed.

"We are not telling any stories," Miguel calmly said.

"That, we will find out," Gordon said.

There were about a few minutes of silent in the van.

"If you tell me where your daughter is, I can try to reduce her punishment," Gordon said.

"My daughter is in the grave that your men are digging right now. Can you wait please?" Miguel replied with irritation.

"Okay okay, calm down," Gordon shrugged.

He then made his way out of the van and called another police officer. He ordered him to stay in the van with the couple while he went inside the cemetery. The other officer quietly entered the van and smiled at Chloe and Miguel. He sat in front of them.

"I'm sorry, for whatever is happening," he talked.

Miguel looked at him. He had brown hair along with a lot of grey strands. He had a light brown complexion and his eyes were greyish blue. His face was wrinkled. He looked a bit old. Miguel looked at his name tag on which his name was engraved. It read 'Drew Thomas'.

Miguel didn't reply. He only blinked his eyes at him and compressed his lips. Chloe was looking at the cemetery through the window of the van. She could see the men moving their shovel. She didn't pay attention to Drew.

However, Drew continued to converse with them, "Please do not mind the behaviour of inspector Gordon. He is very strict and he does not believe anyone easily."

Chloe and Miguel remained quiet.

"But, I believe you," Drew continued

Miguel finally looked at him.

"Why?" He asked as he raised his eyebrow.

"I'm a parent too. I know that no parents would lie about the death of their child," he explained.

Miguel nodded, not replying. Tears fell from Chloe's eyes as she watched the grave of her daughter being dug.

Time flew by and after about one hour or more, Chloe started to feel restless. She was still looking outside and she saw Gordon standing near the gate of the cemetery and he was smoking a cigarette. Chloe hated him. He looked so calm. He seemed to be enjoying the moment. Chloe cursed him in her head.

Suddenly, one of the man who was digging shouted, "we reached the coffin!"

Chloe felt a sudden pain in her stomach. Gordon heard him and he made his way into the cemetery.

Chloe turned to Miguel and said, "Let's go."

Miguel nodded and looked at Drew. He opened the door of the van and got out. Chloe and Miguel followed him. They then rushed into the cemetery. Soon, they were standing at the dug up grave. Gordon saw them coming. Luckily, he said nothing. His attention was fully drawn to the coffin.

The bearded man was still down in the grave.

"Open it," Gordon ordered.

The man nodded and got to work. With all the strength he had, he opened the dirty coffin and as soon as he did so, a pungent smell filled the atmosphere. Chloe blocked her nose using her thumb and her index finger.

The coffin was opened and there was a body in it. Miguel felt relieved. He thought that finally, Gordon would let them live in peace. However, the story had just started.

Inside of the coffin, there was the body of a man instead of Sabrina's. The body had already started to decompose. No one knew who that man was. They could still see his face since it was not completely decomposed yet. The face was sunken and the eye sockets were visible. The lips were dried and his teeth were visible. On his belly, there were blood stains.

Gordon immediately took out his gun and pointed it at Miguel and Chloe.

Frightened, Chloe grabbed the arm of Miguel, who was scared to hell too.

"Inspector, I...I am...." Miguel stammered, but he was so shocked by what he saw that he didn't know what to say or explain.

"I didn't know your daughter was a man," Gordon smirked, still pointing his gun at them.

There were two more officers aside him who had taken out their guns too. Drew was standing behind Chloe and Miguel. He froze and didn't know how to react.

"I don't know what happened!" Miguel exclaimed.

Chloe started to cry as she squeezed the arm of Miguel.

"Mr ans Mrs Davis, you are both under arrest for misleading the police," Gordon announced.

"But, please-" Miguel started but he was cut off by Gordon.

"You are requested to remain silent. Save your explanation for later at the police station," Gordon strictly said.

The officer standing to his right walked towards Chloe and Miguel. He handcuffed them and pushed them towards the van. Chloe looked behind at the grave. She could feel her heart pounding real fast. At that time, she didn't care about being arrested. The only question that was in her mind was, "Where is my daughter's body?"