Prologue

19th March 1992

The moon was young and the coldness of the dark night was getting unbearable. Carl, a bearded man in his 50s, stopped in front of a huge gate and leaned his old bicycle against it. He removed a key from the pocket of his jacket and walked towards the lock. He struggled to open it as his hands were shivering due to the extremely chilly atmosphere.

"Come on! I'm already late," he talked to himself.

He pulled up his sleeve a little just so he could view the time from his old watch.

"2 a.m already?" He questioned himself and then focused back on unlocking the gate.

This time, he was successful. His lips curved into a smile of victory as he pushed the gate to open it. He pulled his bicycle inside of the cemetery and closed the gate behind him. Unluckily, there were no light poles inside the old cemetery. He stopped at the entrance and took out a torch from his backpack. He switched on the torch and made his way towards a small cottage that was made of bricks. It appeared to be a hundred years old.

Gentle, but freezing breezes touched his skin

Gentle, but freezing breezes touched his skin. Silence filled the atmosphere completely and Carl found that strange since usually, owls always keep on hooting during the night in the cemetery. The awkward silence made him uncomfortable.

Once he reached at the door of the cottage, Carl leaned his bicycle against a wall. As soon as he did so, the door of the cottage opened. It made a creaky sound. Carl furrowed his eyebrows and his body became alert. He clearly remembered that before leaving the cemetery, he had locked the door. His heart raced as he stepped inside of the cottage as slowly as he could. He shone his flashlight at each and every corner of the cottage, but, everything was in place and there was no one else inside. Finally, he reached the electric switch button and he immediately turned it on.

The area was clear and he found no intruder. He led out a sigh as he threw his backpack on a dirty table.

"This cottage is too old. I should expect these types of issues," Carl thought to himself.

He rubbed his arms. It was really cold inside. He noticed that the only window that was available in the cottage was open. The window was at the back and through it, the cemetery was clearly visible. Carl walked towards the window with the intention of closing it. As soon as he was in front of it, he peeked outside and took a glance at the cemetery. There were about a thousand of graves and they all looked creepy during the night, but, for Carl, it was a normal scenario. However, as he was examining the cemetery, something unusual caught his eyes. He noticed that deeper in the cemetery, something was shining and the light was flickering.

"Could it be someone there?" He wondered.

As a guard, he had to fulfill his duty, so, he took his torch and a long stick with him as a weapon. Even if he was acquainted to that cemetery, Carl had goosebumps all over his body. He never saw that light before. Fear filled his veins as he walked among the tombs. He shone his flashlight everywhere to see if he could see an intruder. He kept his body alert as he went further towards the direction of the light.

His heart started to pound faster as he was finally reaching the source of the mysterious light. He stopped in front of a grave. It was the one of a baby that was buried in the morning. All around it, there were burning candles. He felt a chill pulsating down his spine.

He took deeper breaths and sweat beads formed on his forehead despite the cold weather. He approached the grave and his mouth was left wide opened when he found out that the grave was dug open and the coffin was empty. The corpse of the baby was no more in the grave. It had disappeared.

"How is this possible? The gate was locked," he panicked.

Carl couldn't understand what was happening. He was scared to death. Knowing that he was alone in the cemetery, he immediately ran away from that dug open grave. He ran directly towards the cottage. Out of fear, he dropped the torch in the cemetery.

Once in the cottage, Carl took out his Nokia mobile phone and dialed a number. Panting, he waited for the receiver as he breathed heavily. He could not fathom what was happening. He was scared to death.

"Hello," someone had picked up the call. It was a woman.

"Veronica, your baby has disappeared, can you hear me?" Carl busted out all the words at once.

"What?" the woman on the phone call asked with shock.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of signal in the cemetery, Carl couldn't hear her very well.

"Veronica? Hello?" he yelled.

Suddenly, the light of the cottage went out. Carl's heart skipped a beat. He put down the mobile phone and tried to reach his backpack. He was not able to see anything since everywhere was dark. He tapped everywhere as he walked to get an idea where he was. In an instant, his hands sensed a cloth. It was very soft. He grabbed the cloth and felt something bony. He slid his hand down the cloth and the next thing he was able to sense was a hand.

"Who... who... is... this?" he stammered with terror, but, instead of an answer, he received a strong kick and he fell to the ground.

Next, he felt something very pointy piercing through his belly. Blood spurted on the ground and his scream echoed in the whole cemetery.