Chapter 29

Alicia turned around and saw Gordon standing very near to the hole. Chloe's hand was raised up and she had a knife with her. She was going to stab Gordon. Alicia did not waste any time further. She ran towards Chloe and pushed her to the ground. When she did so, she unintentionally hit Gordon and the latter could not hold onto his body. He fell into the hole. The hole was mostly of the same size as a grave, but, it was not too deep. Chloe fell on the ground. The knife fell out of her grip. Alicia was standing near the hole and she peeked in. Gordon was trying to get up.

"Are you okay?" she asked as she struck her hand out to help him get up.

Gordon was fine, but, his ankle was sprained. He tried to get up, but he fell down again. There was mud all over his body. Still sitting inside the hole, he was going to hold the hand of Alicia, but, he froze and his eyes opened wide as he yelled, "Behind you!"

Alicia became alert. However, before she could turn around to look behind, she felt a grip around her neck and she felt something piercing through her waist.

She managed to look over her shoulder. It was Devine. She had with her the knife that Chloe possessed and she stabbed Alicia from the back. Alicia felt a pricking pain. She let out a groan. She was still suffering from the pricking pain when suddenly, she felt the knife twisting and moving out of her body. The pain was doubled and she felt weak. Blood spurted from her waist. She lost her balance and she knelt down. However, Devine was not over. She was more evil. Still holding the neck of Alicia, once again, she shoved the knife into her waist. Alicia screamed with pain. 

Gordon felt helpless. He tried to stand up, but, he sat back again. He could not help Alicia. He was himself in pain. He could not feel his feet.

Suddenly, they heard a gun shot.

Gordon froze. Everywhere was suddenly quiet. He could hear his heart beating. He could see Alicia and Devine from his position. He saw blood on the forehead of Alicia. Devine slowly unwrapped her hands around Alicia's neck. Alicia fell on the ground and lied down. To Gordon's surprise, Devine fell down too.

"What is happening?" He yelled. He again gave his best to stand up. He tried to crack his fingers of the feet that was sprained. He slowly tried to get up. It was painful, but he did not care about the pain at that moment. He just wanted to know what was happening and who had fired. It took him only a few seconds to stand up. However, he could not get out of the whole. He leaned his chest against the wall of the grave and he took a look of the surrounding. Devine was lying down in front of him and there was blood spurting out of her head. Her eyes were widely opened and her lips were quivering.

A further distance away, Gordon saw Drew. He was wearing a new shirt, but, there was blood on it. Drew was holding a gun, but, his hands were shaking. His eyes were teary. Slowly, he dropped the gun on the ground and with a shaky voice, he yelled, "Devine!"

His voice was full of pain. He started to run towards Devine who was lying on the ground with blood flowing from her head. He knelt next to her and grabbed her shoulder. He slowly placed his daughter's head on his lap.

"What did I do?" he muttered as tears rolled down his cheeks. His tears fell on the face of Devine.

Devine's eyes were wide opened. She stared at her father. She groaned with pain and she took a deep breath.

"In the end....you...you...turned out....like....like....your fa....father," she struggled to talk.

Blood started to spurt out of her mouth. "You....killed...your own....daugh.." she breathed heavily. "You killed...your...daughter....just like....grandfa..ther...killed..mother," she managed to say.

"You were wrong! I'm sorry," Drew broke down as he cried his heart out.

He had killed his own daughter. It was the worst nightmare that he was living. Devine was breathing her last on his lap. He was holding her daughter after such a long time and it would be the last time. More blood spurted from her mouth. She has difficulties to breathe. She struggled until suddenly, she stopped inhaling. Her body stopped moving. Her soul had left her body. Drew grabbed her hand and squeezed it as he grieved over her dead body.

"I'm sorry," he apologised as he hugged the body of his deceased daughter.

Gordon felt a gust of emotion and a heaviness on his chest. He did not know how to handle the situation.

Thankfully, other officers were invading the area. There were about eleven of them. They ran towards them. One of them helped Gordon to get out of the grave. Another officer knelt next to Drew and checked the pulse of Devine. He realised that she was dead. He removed his cap and then he tapped Drew on his shoulder to show his condolences. Another officer went to check on Alicia who was still conscious, but, it pain. The officer lifted her up and rushed towards the alley.

The officer who was helping Gordon to stand up said, "Sir, there were two other persons who were injured. We found them at the start of the alley. We sent them to the hospital."

Gordon nodded as he tried his best not to fall. "How did you find out we were here?" he asked.

"Officer Drew called," he replied.

Gordon nodded again as he watched Drew who was still grieving for the death of his daughter. He looked shattered.

"Take care of the body and bring Drew to the hospital for a checkup," Gordon instructed.

"We will take care of it sir, don't worry," the officer ressured him.

He then called another officer and told him to escort Gordon to the hospital since he was unable to walk properly. He then walked towards Drew and helped him to get up. At first, Drew refused to let go of the body, but, then, he quietly stood up and walked away from it with the officer by his side. Two other officers ran towards the body of Devine. One of them grabbed her hands while the other grabbed her legs. They lifted her up and carried her away from the isolated area.

They walked along the alley to get back to the main road so that they can reach their vehicles. While walking pass Devine's house, Gordon saw several firefighters who were trying to extinguish the enormous fire. The whole house was on fire now and there was a higher intensity of smoke over the house. The firefighters were doing their best to put out the fire.

They continued their walk and when they reached at the start of the alley, Gordon noticed that his jeep and Drew's car were still there. There was also an ambulance with a medical team waiting near it. Another ambulance was leaving the road. Gordon figured out Alicia was in it. He watched the ambulance leave and deep in his mind, he prayed that Alicia would get well and would heal from the injury.

With time, Alicia would surely heal from and she would eventually feel better, but would she be able to forget the horrible incident that happened with her family? Would she be able to live peacefully?

Drew and Gordon were asked to enter the ambulance that was still parked there. Once inside, they were attended by a male medical nurse. The latter examined Gordon's feet and massaged it slowly so that he would feel better. The nurse then attended Drew. He checked for any injuries on him, but, fortunately, there were only a few scratches on his arms. The nurse applied medecines on them and band aids where necessary.

A few seconds after they were done, they got out of the ambulance. They saw two officers carrying the body of Devine. They gently placed her on the small bed that was inside the ambulance. Drew watched them and his eyes sparkled. A flashback played in his head where he shot his daughter on her head. He recalled how his hands hands were trembling, yet, he did not hesitate to release the bullet from the gun. He felt like he was a horrible father.

However, his daughter was not right either. She was on the wrong path. The nurse inside the ambulance closed the back door and a few seconds later, the driver drove the medical van away. A tear escaped from Drew's eyes. Gordon noticed him and he tapped him on his shoulder. He felt bad too, but, at the same time, his heart rejoiced with victory. The case was finally solved. They had found the criminal.

The officer who was helping Gordon to walk led them into a police van.

"We will take you to the hospital for a checkup," the officer said.

They climbed into the van and they soon left for the hospital.