Chapter 24

Daryl's POV
It had been a couple weeks since Dale's death, and it had taken its toll on everyone. Glenn was probably the worse, the kid basically lost a father.

Since it was getting colder, Hershel had moved all of us into the farmhouse. Ciara, Merle, and I had moved into the guest room Martinez was staying in. I can't say it was the best sleeping arrangement, but it was something. Merle and Ciara were closer now, not fighting anymore, it's almost like she was his sister.

Rick had us doing perimeter checks every other day, people on watch in the barn loft and at the windmill. Somehow Dale's death had brought us closer together as a group.

Ciara and I were assigned watch in the barn loft today, now a days we didn't do anything without each other. I made sure that when I was doing something she was either with Merle or her brother.

"It seems like we never get any alone time anymore." said Ciara, who was sitting on the floor, leaning back on her hands.

I sighed and turned from where I was standing watch. "You're tellin me, Rick or Shane's always got us doing somethin."

"At least we're doing something, I swear Lori is more useless then Carl, and he's just a kid."

I chuckled at that. "You got that right darlin."

Ciara looked up at me and patted the spot beside her. "I think we can make do without you watching the farm like a hawk for a second." She said when I wasn't sure if I should sit or not.

I placed my rifle that I had on the floor and sat beside her. Ciara crawled over top of me, so she was now sitting in between my legs, her back leaning against my chest. We sat there together listening to the peaceful silence of the farm, "Do you ever think about kids?" Ciara asked me out of the blue.

I sat up straighter. "Where's this coming from?"

She shrugged. "I was just curious is all, we never talk about things like this."

I rested my chin on top of her head. "I don't know, I've never thought of it before, but ya, I think I would. Merle's great and all, but it would be something to have my own family."

She leaned her head back on my shoulder and kissed my cheek. "You'd be a great dad Daryl."

I grinned. "Ya think so?" She nodded, "Well you would be a great mother too."

She smiled, and for once her smile actually filled her face. "Thanks Dare."

I rested my hand over her stomach. "There would be a little baby in here too," I whispered in her ear. I felt tears falling onto the my arms that were wrapped around her. I kissed her shoulder, "Don't cry babe."

She turned around and curled into my chest. "I'm just sad that I can't give you a family."

I kissed her head. "I've got you, that's all I'll ever need." She smiled and leaned her head on my shoulder. "Rue," I whispered.

She leaned back and gave me a look, "What?"

I smirked. "If I had a girl, I'd name her Rue."

Ciara's face lit up, "And if it was a boy?"

I thought about it for a moment. "Jaxon, with an x."

She threw her hands around my neck and kissed me. "I love it."

My arms squeezed her against my chest. "Just like I love you."

****

It was already dark by the time Ciara and I had gotten back from watch, I was sitting on the porch waiting for Ciara to come outside. There was a horrible stench blowing from somewhere, I stood up to look at the farm and what I saw terrified me. There were walkers, hundreds of them, all together walking towards the house.

"Daryl?" Said Ciara as she came out the porch door. She looked over my shoulders and her eyes widened. "What do we do?"

I shook my head. "I don't know, tell Hershel to turn off the lights." she took off inside and soon after Glenn, T-dog, Carol, and Shane came outside. "You think we can wait it out?" Asked Glenn.

"Nah," I said. "Herd that size will rip the house down."

"Where's Carl?" Asked Lori, who rushed out the doors.

"Saw him with Rick," said Shane. "They were at the barn."

"Grab as much as you can carry, load the cars." I said. "We're getting out of here."

Ciara's POV
I rushed inside of the house, telling everyone what was happening. Elena and I grabbed everyone's things and threw them by the door. "We gotta get my brother." I told her. She nodded and we ran for Caesars room. Hershel had made him stay in bed for a week longer so his leg healed properly, hopefully he was up to running.

"Caesar!" I yelled once I ran into his room. "Get our shit and let's go!" I grabbed all of our clothes and stuffed them into our bags.

Caesar jumped off the bed. "What are you talking about sis?"

"Walkers, everywhere, we gotta go." he nodded and handed me my bow and pistol. Elena came back to the room with Shane's and hers bags, her shotgun, and a spare pistol.

"Let's go!" She said, taking off for the front door. The farm was a disaster, the barn was on fire, walkers were everywhere, and all you could hear were guns and screaming. I heard a high pitched scream right beside us and turned to see Lori getting her neck ripped open.

I grabbed Caesar's hand and ran the other way, with Elena leading the way. As we ran I tripped over something, I turned around to see T-dogs body ripped apart. I covered my mouth with my hand so I wouldn't scream.

Caesar pulled me up, "We gotta go!" He yelled.

My eyes widened. "Where's Daryl!?"

"Don't worry, saw him and Carol get away on his bike, but we gotta go!"

We kept running, "Elena!" A voice yelled behind us. We turned around to see Shane running towards us.

The quickly embraced and broke up, "We gotta keep going." said Elena.

I nodded. "The forests our best bet, let's go." We ran into the forest and didn't look back. I didn't know if Merle had made it out, or where Daryl was. All I knew was that we were separated, and had no clue where they were.

Daryl's POV
We were waiting on the highway where we had lost Sophia. We had lost T-dog, Lori, Patricia and we hadn't seen any sign of Glenn, Maggie, Shane, Elena, Martinez, or Ciara.

I couldn't stop pacing in front of my bike. "She's gonna be okay baby brother." Merle told me.

I spun on him, "How do you know that! She could be dead for all we know!"

He got in my face. "Don't act like your the only one that would be losing her."

I growled. "Why wouldn't I, she ain't ever gonna love you man."

I could see Merle's fists clench, "She wouldn't want this, to see us fight over something so stupid."

I sighed. "You're right." I sat down on my bike with a huff and put my head in my hands. Soon there was a sound of a car approaching us. I jumped up and ran over to the car, but my pace slowed when I only saw Glenn and Maggie.

"Ciara?" I asked as I reached Glenn.

He shook his head. "I don't know man, I saw her run into the woods with her brother, Shane, and Elena."

I ran my hands through my hair and pulled on it. "This can't be happening." I mumbled. "THIS CANT BE FUCKING HAPPENING!" I screamed kicking the nearest car. Everyone jumped at my voice, but I could care less.

"Daryl just calm down." said Rick.

"CALM DOWN!? MY GIRL IS OUT THERE AND I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE SHE IS! CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK I'M SUPPOSE TO CALM DOWN!" I collapsed in a heap beside my bike and put my head in my hands again and did what I promised I wouldn't do again, I cried.

"You keep care of that girl of yours, don't let her out of your sight." I remember Dale's last words to me, fuck I couldn't even keep that promise. All I know is my girl is out there and I'm not with her.
--------------
Thanks for over 1.5K reads, that's amazing! I love the feed back from all of you and appreciate the votes.