Chapter 9

Merle's POV
Hershel was checking in on Ciara about every ten minutes, and when he wasn't there Daryl and I were watching her like hawks. On about Hershel's twentieth time he said something, "She's still losing blood faster then we can replace. And with the swelling in his abdomen, we can't wait any longer or she's just going to slip away. Now I need to know right now if you want me to do this, because I think this girl is out of time. I need you to make a choice."

I glanced at Daryl, "What ya think baby brother?"

He sighed, "We gotta try man."

I nodded and turned back to Hershel. "We do it." he nodded and left to get supplies.

"She'll make it man." said Daryl, "Dont worry."

Seconds later Hershel and Patricia came in with a wheelie table. "Ok grab the corner of that bed, lets get the sheets down, everybody." he pointed at me, "Get the iv bag, put it on the sheet. Okay on three," We all grabbed the corners of the sheet. "One. Two. Three." We lifted her onto the table.

Patricia nudged me outa the way to put down the surgery stuff. "Daryl get that lamp for me would you." said Patricia. "And take the shade off too." Daryl rushed to the lamp and basically threw the shade across the room. He place the lamp on the table and backed up.

"Merle, Daryl, you may want to step out." I nodded and went to leave the room. Out of the corner of my eye I saw headlights coming down the lane. "Oh god." I said. "They're back." Daryl and I hustled out of the room with Hershel not far behind.

As we came out the door the truck came to a screeching halt. Shane got out and grabbed the bags, I noticed no one else was with him. "Your girl!?" He asked me while he limped towards us.

"She's alive. There's still a chance."

Shane handed the bags over to Hershel, before he left he turned to Shane. "Otis?" He asked.

"No.." Shane whispered. "Andrea too."

"We say nothing to Patricia, not until after the surgery. I need her!"

Rick had noticed the truck and came over to Shane. "Andrea?" He asked. Shane just shook his head and looked to the ground. Rick sighed and brought him into a hug.

"Th-there were walkers, every turn." Shane muttered. "Got Otis, then Andrea, she was bit, had to put her out myself. She died, and it's all my fault."

Rick grabbed his shoulders, "They wanted to help that girl, they knew the risks. It's not your fault man. Uhh... who's that?"

We all looked behind shane to see a brunette girl with deep green eyes all watching us. "That's Elena, found her on the road on the way back." Rick looked at him skeptically. "What was I gonna do man! Leave her to die!"

Rick just shook his head, "We'll deal with this later," he pointed at Shane. "You watch her." Shane nodded and took Elena to sit on the porch steps.

Soon we joined him, Daryl and I sitting away from everyone else. "She's gonna be okay man." He said.

I grinned at him. "You've said that about fifty times, but this time I actually believe you."

Daryl's POV
We've all been sitting in the porch for what felt like hours, and I was starting to get nervous. Just as I was about to go check on Hershel he comes out the door, wiping his hands on a rag. We all instantly stand up, Shane almost falling on Elena in the process form his screwed up ankle.

"She's stabilized." said Hershel.

I let go of a breath that I didn't know I was holding. "Thanks god." I said, leaning my head against the post. I went over to Hershel squeezed his shoulder. I wasn't one for kind gestures, but right now I couldn't give a damn who was watching.

"Thanks doc." I said.

"Now that the issue is out of the way." said Hershel. "How do I tell Patricia about Otis?" We all look at the ground, not sure what to say.

"I'll tell her with you daddy." said Maggie, who was outside with us.

He nodded, "And you two." he said pointing at me and Daryl. "Go check up on your girl." We nodded and took off into the house. I was gonna see my girl, and she was gonna be okay.
---------------------------------------------
Thanks for over 100 reads! You guys are fucking amazing!! The picture at the begining is of Elena, the girl Shane finds.