Chapter 2 - Insomnia

A weight drops into my stomach as an unnamed boy kisses my neck from behind me, begging me to take him to bed.  I don't want to go, and I don't have any true feelings for him.  I did what I had to do for the games.  There's only one thing left for me to do, but I'm not willing to do it.  "Stop," I say slowly, unsure of what I'm doing.  "Stop," I say with more authority in my voice.  "Stop!" I order again.  Everything around me vanishes into thin air, like it never existed.  

My eyes shoot open to darkness.  It's still night.  Earlier in the night, I was chosen to participate in those horrid Love Games the Aphrodite Cabin does.  We have been each assigned a person, one specific person that we're supposed to have a fling with.  I have only met the boy I'm assigned to on occasion, but still I'm terrified of what I might do to win.  

To win means glory, respect, and prizes.

Losing means the worst cabin duties and being made fun of for the rest of my existence.  It would mean hell until I died, which is basically hell all the way around.  

I hear snores around the room, so I know my half brothers and sisters are still asleep.  Us children of Aphrodite need our beauty sleep, after all.  

Slowly, I tip toe out of the room, still wearing my pajamas and shut the door carefully behind me.  No one notices me, so I pick up my feet rapidly and run to my tree.  

No one else knows about my tree, not that I would have anyone to tell.  I let out a sigh as I reach the tree.  It's beautiful in the moon light with it's green leaves illuminated high up.  Easily, I scale the tree and make my way to my favorite branch, nearly all the way to  the stop.  I finally let myself relax.  I never feel at home when I'm in the Aphrodite cabin.  I feel like I'm a trout in a sea of rainbow fish.  Don't get me wrong, I know I'm pretty, but I don't flaunt it around like most of them do.  

My heart stops when I hear some leaves crunching far below along with some mumbling.  Not making a single sound, I look down to see who the cause of that noise was.  I can just make out the shadow of him, I can tell it's a boy because of his short hair.  He's rushing, taking glances back as if he's making sure no one sees him.  

I feel a tickle in my nose, it's itching more and more and I can't hold it in anymore. The whole tree shakes as I let out my sneeze, then covering my face with both of my hands.  It was too late though, he had already noticed.  "Hello?!" he calls, cupping his hands around his mouth, projecting the sound upwards. "Is anyone there?" His voice is light, and I know he can laugh easily.  It sounds so familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. 

I don't make a sound, although I'm tempted to.  What do I have to lose?

"It's just some birds," he assured himself before heading deeper into the trees.  My heart beat is now rapidly beating, I feel like it's going to be audible from miles away. I can see a hint of his hair as he hikes through the fallen branches and autumn leaves.  It's curly and brown. 

I don't know how my heart does it, but it beats even faster.  I've realized who he was.  He's the boy I'm supposed to make fall in love with, sleep with, then break his heart.  

It's Leo Valdez.

--

A/N: Hey guise! 

So this was just an extremely random idea that popped out of my brain while writing the Demigod Games, so I decided to test the waters with it.  

Please tell me what you think and if I should continue.

Thanks <3

-Emily