Chapter 22 - The Chariot Races: Part 2

Faye's POV

Time seems to slow as Chiron lowers the flag, signalling the beginning of the race. I watch as the other teams are relaxed, at ease, even. I, however, am absolutely on edge. I can't seem to shake this feeling of inflated importance. I know I'm here to prove something. And I have no intentions to screw it up.

Leo starts the chariot, but we're already falling behind the others. I flash an angry expression back at Leo. He looks at me with an apologetic look and pushes a couple of side buttons. Long strings of spike emerge out of the wheels and stab into the chariots beside us. 

I grin like a madwoman as I watch them fall behind me. As we finally begin to gain ground, I unsheath a silver sword and begin to defend our rightful position.

I take down three other chariots in a matter of seconds. I don't see their faces. All I see is another obstacle getting in my way. But there's still one ahead of us. Way ahead of us. 

Leo doesn't even need to hear the order from me; he understands that it's time to pull out the best innovation of the chariot. 

We go blasting forward at an incredible speed. Everything we pass is an absolute blur. It's over before we know it. An entire half mile done that quickly. 

When I realize that we won, I throw my arms around Leo. "I did it!" I shout into his ears, overwhelmed with the feeling of victory. 

Leo half smiles, lightly hugging me back. "Great job, Faye." His voice is kind of empty. Suddenly, he leans closer to me, as if he's about to peck my lips. "I hope you proved your point."

I remember. The Games. I glance back at Piper. Her eyes are still slightly puffy. The pain hasn't gone away overnight for her. Should I tell them?

No. 

I really shouldn't. I actually have a chance at winning this. And after that I can prove that not every child of Aphrodite is a brainless airhead. At least I'm not. 

Yes.

Then everyone can know the evil trades of the Aphrodite Cabin. Isn't that what I want.

No!

What about Leo? Knowing about the games will only break his heart. How much longer can I keep this secret?

Leo wraps his arms around my waist with pride as my cabin mates surround me, cheering and celebrating our victory. Even Drew and Aubrey. They act as if they were a part of this, as if they deserve recognition. I'm too torn to care.

I notice Piper sitting alone in the silver bleachers surrounding the track. She wears a smile, but it's not like the ones I've seen before. I look away, still feeling guilt bubbling in my stomach. It is in this moment that I make my decision: There is no way in Hades I can tell everyone. Their reactions are unpredictable.

Chiron parts my victory crowd and walks up to Leo and I. He hands Leo a small pouch of drachmas with a proud grin on his face. "Well done, you two. Inside this are fifty drachmas. I trust you to use it well."