Chapter 17 - The Eavesdropper

Faye's POV

A gasp escapes my throat as I gaze upon the eavesdropper. 

She's extremely pretty for a daughter of Athena, with her curling brunette hair and dazzling smile. Her eyes, however, are accusing and angry. I'm glad Corey isn't here, he's already on her bad side. I laugh nervously. "Delia."

"Faye, would you care to explain what you were just talking about? What are these 'games'?" She demands, but her voice stays low to avoid Drew or Aubrey hearing. Thank the Gods she understands their evil and why they must not be trusted. 

I let out a sigh. I don't feel like I should be the one explaining this to her. "They're called the Love Games," I start, struggling to find the right words to finish my sentence, words that won't reveal too much. I give up and continue anyway. "It's just something the Aphrodite Cabin does." I glance around to see if anyone is listening. "You can't tell anyone." 

"What do you mean I can't tell anyone?" Delia's deep brown eyes search mine for some meaning. 

"It's complicated," I try to tell her, pleading her to stop persuing answers. From behind her, I can see curly, bouncing hair come into sight. "Oh my gods," I mutter. 

Delia looks over her back, her eyes widen when she sees who it is. 

"Please just ask Corey, I promise you he'll explain everything," I beg. "You can't tell anyone else you know. And promise me that you won't think of Corey any differently after he tells you the truth."

"Fine," Delia lets out a sigh. She leaves without another word.

Instead of waiting for Leo, I speed walk over to him. "Leo?"

His eyes are fixed on the cabin behind me. I don't think he's heard what I said. "What do you mean this isn't right?" he asks bluntly, his lips pressed into a straight line.

"I-I meant that the time wasn't right. We shouldn't get uh...doing this so early," I stutter, struggling to find the right words. "It has no other meaning, I swear."

Leo seems relieved, but not assured. "I agree that we really shouldn't," he admits, tilting his head to the side. "It sounded like it had other meaning."

I could get lost in his eyes, they always seem to have a playful gleam in them even when Leo's absolutely serious. "Is that why you're back now?" I pray to the Gods that it isn't what I think it is, I pray that he doesn't know about the games like Delia had just found out.

Leo sheepishly shoves his hands into his pockets, diverting his eyes from mine. "I think so. But I think it's about time I've told you the truth."

--

Leo's POV

I now know why I had to come back. It's time to tell her, it has to be. "Go on, then," a small smile slips onto her face, making a smile come to my face as well. Her smiles are magical, they have ways of lighting up everyone's day. 

"I was praying that you didn't mean anything else by 'this isn't right.' Whatever it is that we have," I begin, reaching for her hand. She brings her hand to mine without hesitation. "I know that you're all I've ever wanted for a while. You're honestly the most beautiful person I've ever met, and not just because you're a daughter of Aphrodite, you're so much more than that. You're brilliant! I think I'm falling in love with you." 

"Oh my gods, Leo," she blushes, a deep red color come to her cheeks. "I don't know what to say-"

"Hey Fayeee!" A random voice from the Aphrodite cabin calls. I roll my eyes, realizing that it's Aubrey.