Chapter 12 - Where Do We Go Now?

I can almost still feel his lips on mine, moving in sync with my own. I've never felt something so mesmerizing, something that has made me so speechless. It's been an entire night and I haven't even came close to thinking about something, anything else. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect first kiss. It was better than what I always dreamed it would be like. 

But at the same time I think of the consequences. Surely that kiss put me ahead now, right? What am I saying, Hades damn it! This is absolutely ridiculous. I can't go a few hours without thinking about these awful games. What's wrong with me?

I know I said I have to win, but I've never been so conflicted. What would it say about me if I did win? Would it really be worth all of the glory, all of the respect, the pride of my mother? I don't know.

No. It isn't worth it. Breaking anyone's heart for the games is selfish. 

But Aphrodite. I won't admit this to anyone, but I want her to take an interest in me, her own daughter. I want her to take pride in me. I want her to love me like a normal mother. In order to have that, I have to win. 

I can't let myself go near him today, I just can't. I'll be tempted to do something that I'll later regret. I can't let myself be that selfish person, I can't be the girl who broke Leo Valdez's heart. 

Thankfully Drew and Aubrey are already out using the showers before the rest of us, so most of my half siblings are still sleeping peacefully and quietly. 

"Faye?" a tired voice calls out. 

"Yeah Pipes?" I ask quietly. 

"Drew knows what happened," she says, her voice barely above a whisper.

Her warning hits me hard, realization washes over me. "So I'm officially beating Aubrey?" I ask, somewhat hopeful.

"You're officially in first right now," Piper tells me, her lips slipping into a grin. "I take it things are going well with Leo."

I smile, thinking of the kiss once again for about the billionth time since it happened. "I guess they are."

Before we can continue our conversation the door slams open. I roll over in my bed, cautious and ready to snap into action once Drew yells the command. But it never comes. Confused, I turn over in my bed and it's not anyone I would have ever expected. It's Delia Samuels from Aphrodite Cabin.

"Where's Corey?" she asks, her voice threatening and over bearing. At this point, everyone is awake and cranky. Corey jumps out of his bed immediately and walks over to her. His black hair is a ruffled mess, but he doesn't seem to care. 

"What's up Delia?" Corey rubs his eyes, and yawns.

I flinch as I watch Delia full fledged, slap him across the face. The sound of it echoes across the cabin. We are all silent and shocked. "I hope you rot in tartarus," she spits before leaving abruptly. 

Corey stands there at the door, holding his cheek with one hand and gazing out to Delia as he does so. He clearly wants her, but she didn't think much of him. 

I want to comfort him, but Aubrey and Drew come before I can even push the blankets off of me. I resist the urge to throw the blankets over me and act like I don't exist.

My lips are pressed into a thin line, nearly twitching. Aubrey sends me death glare, daggers shoot from her eyes and penetrate my skin. Drew is already distracted from yelling at another cabin mate. I'm thankful it isn't me. Gods, do we need change.

--

"Hey Corey," I have to run to catch up with him on our way to the baths. "Are you alright?" I ask, remembering what had happened earlier.