Possible Epilogue

A/N: This piece here is actually a basis for my plot. It was all going to end at this moment, where Leo has to close the doors of death. To summarize prior to this point, Leo enters tartarus with the goal to close the doors of death. He's the only one who can at this point and is willing to sacrifice his life. This scene starts where Leo finds his hands laying on the metal doors, struggling to bring them to a close. 

This is not an actual epilogue to the story, but it serves its purpose it wrecking your emotional state.

May the Gods have mercy.

Leo's POV

"Leo." A familar voice rings. It's the sound of an angel and it's too good to be true. "You can't do this."

I turn slowly to see Faye standing before me, a gray shadow of her remains. "Faye," I whisper. My eyes begin to water as I reach a hand to her, but she can't entwine her fingers with mine. "I have to," I tell her sadly. "It's the only way."

"You have so much to live for," Faye floated closer to my defeated figure. She raises a hand to my face, attempting to brush a strand of hair from my face. Her ghostly eyes connect with mine, pleading to reconsider my decision. But it has already been made.

My eyes close as I stretch my arms out in front of me, placing my hands onto the cold doors of death. "We'll be together," I say wistfully. "Isn't that what you wanted?"

Tears spill from Piper's eyes on the other side of the doors. Jason clings onto her, looking to me with remorse. Hazel takes a hold of Frank's arm as he sends me solemn expression. Percy and Annabeth remain silent, watching with pain in their eyes. I can tell they wish there was another solution, but there really isn't. This is the only way to save them all. 

"Of course," Faye answers. She lets out a long sigh. "It's always been what I wanted. But more than that, I want you to live. You have a life out there. There has to be another way," she says desperately. 

"I already messed up once, I'm not going to let the world die because of me." My voice trembles. I can't allow every single being on this planet to burn because of me. This time, I can't be selfish.

Faye shakes her head. "It was never your fault, Leo. I made my decision."

"I could've saved you," I try telling her.

"Shh," she interrupts. "I sacrificed myself."

I blink, sending tears rolling down my cheeks. "You saved my life!" I exclaim. "You could've saved the world, but you saved me! The only two people who have ever loved me are dead because of me!"

"It was never your fault. Even your mother's death wasn't a result of your actions," Faye says. "You need to stop blaming yourself for our deaths."

"But if I never existed, then you two would both be alive right now!" I exclaim, throwing up my hands. Kicking angrily at the doors, I scream, "It's all my fault!"

"Sacrificing yourself won't redeem yourself for events that occurred outside of your help," Faye tells me in a monotone voice. "And we will not be together if you close these doors. You'll be trapped in tartarus for all of eternity. Please, Leo."

I turn to her, wiping my face with my dirty sleeve. "I'm really sorry, Faye."

With all of my strength, I pull the doors to a close. I can't look at their faces as the lunge forward, begging me not to do this. "We'll find you a way out, Leo!" Jason calls out, now crying himself. Their sad faces are the last thing I see until I lock myself into a world with darkness.

This is my only choice, they all have somebody to love in this world. The rest have so much to live for. I only have someone to die for, I have the world worth dying for. 

"Leo, don't do this," Faye begs as I pull out a small capsule from my belt.

I twist the cap and pour the single pill onto my hand. The pill contains a poisonous ingredient that will kill me in seconds. "We'll be together," I tell her as I bring the pill to my mouth. "This is for you."

This is for you.

I no longer feel fear for death the way I had before. It is inevitable and has been my destiny from the day I was born. Death is the only salvation from pain, suffering, misfortune, and war. It is a friend that welcomes us with open arms. Death is my friend for bringing me to Faye once again. 

"Hey Faye," I pause. "What is a karate master's favorite beverage?" 

"Leo, please, now's not a good time-"

"Kara-tea!" I swallow the pill without hesitation then laugh at my horrible joke. "Faye, you were the reason I wanted to live every second of my life to the fullest. You gave me a voice to be heard and gave me a reason to be myself. Those moments together were everything to me. I-I love you."

My muscles begin to stiffen and lose my balance, falling for what feels like an eternity. Memories of Faye and I flash through my mind, our first kiss, her laugh, and her heartbreaking sacrifice.

Flashes of you left in my mind, going back to the time, playing games on the street, kicking balls with my feet. There's a numb in my toes, standing close to the edge. There's a pile of my clothes at the edge of your bed. As I feel myself fall, make a joke of it all.

But it's okay. As long as we're together, I'll be happy.

Faye's glow dims as my eyes begin to shut. I can barely hear her cries as my body begins to shut down. 

My heart gives one last beat and everything fades to a permanent black. 

--