Chapter 21 - The Chariot Races: Part 1

Faye's POV

The minute my eyes shoot open they fill with determination. I'm not usually competitive, but I feel like I have something to prove. Today is the day of the chariot race, the day I'm going to prove that Aphrodite is indeed a force to be reckoned with. And after Leo and I win, I'm going to tell everyone about the games. I'm not going to let anyone stop me.

The rest of my siblings rest peacefully, snoring and tossing and turning. I don't even bother with being peaceful today, this is war. I roll out of bed and run out of the cabin, straight to the bunker. After another hour of working, I told Leo to get some sleep and I took over. Although I'm not an esteemed daughter of Hephaestus, I managed to finish the rest of the chariot without breaking it. 

I dodge trees as I race through the forest, seeing tree nymphs run along with me. They laugh as if they don't have a care in the world. For once, they don't. There is no war to be fought right now.

But as I dodge trees and shrubs, I see another figure sprinting at my own speed. His curly brown hair flops at his sides and a cocky smile lies on his face. He passes me, but I've only just begun. I've never felt more alive in my life. This is the day.

I hear him laughing loudly as urge my legs to go faster. "Look out!" Leo shouts, cupping his hands over his mouth. 

What could he be-?

Ow. That hurt. So I suppose that tree root was what he was speaking of. A graceful victory as always, Fallon.

I quickly pry myself off the ground and ignore the pain. The stings of my wounds are no match for me today.

"Let's move it Valdez. We don't have all day here," I playfully taunt him.

Leo swiftly kisses my lips, making my stomach flutter. His deep brown eyes are full of amusement. "We have about four hours to finish this chariot up," Leo looks down at his wristwatch. 

I kick the doors of the bunkers in. Leo's eyebrows arch up in curiousity for my actions. "Today Leo we're going to win. I will prove to everyone that I'm not to be messed with, especially with you at my side." 

Leo smiles, making my heart flutter. But in the pits of my stomach guilt is churning. Later today, I will tell Leo the truth. 

--

Leo's POV

Regardless of my exhaustion, I use all my force to push the chariot forward to the track. Faye's skinny arms do nothing to propel it anywhere. She begins to get frustrated and anxious at the same time. 

I wish I could calm her down, but I feel nothing by anxiety at this moment. We finally reach the track and climb in while the other chariots get ready. 

I do have to say, they're good chariots, but they're nothing like the one we built. Ours had too many surprises that would catch everyone off guard. 

I'm surprised to see Annabeth gearing up with Jason. He gives me a wave and tries to act happy. I know he isn't and that he's too conflicted at this point. Poor Annabeth, sharpens her dagger with a grave look on her face. She misses the boy she's been looking for.

I couldn't imagine have Faye torn away from me. Though I haven't asked her to become my girlfriend, she's... everything. (Warning! Cliche statement ahead!) I never believed in love at first sight until she was right there in front of me. For some reason I couldn't keep myself from thinking of every last detail of her very existence. The curve of her cheek to her chin. The delegate flutters of her eyes. Each awkward step she took. Her chorus of laughter. Her genuine nature. Her never-ending craving for adventure. 

All of these little attributes that make up to this impossible girl and buzz through my mind each waking moment. A never ending tidal wave of flaws transforming into another perfect trait that makes up this wonderful, amazing person. 

A repeating clicking sound interrupts my train of thoughts and pulls me back into reality. Faye's snapping her slender fingers in front of my eyes. "Sorry," I murmur, pulling the reins of the chariot. 

"Get your head in the game," Faye slaps my back. Her eyes are trained forward, a new sword resting in the palm of her hand. I've never seen her determination get this out of control. I rest a hand on her wrist and watch her as she exhales carefully. 

My gaze changes to the camp counselor, Chiron, trotting at a safe distance away from the dozen or so deadly chariots. He carries a flag in one hand, ready to start us off.  

One. He holds up the black and white striped flag above his head.

Two. The flag is held up a bit higher.

Three. The flag comes down. 

I flick my wrist, sending our chariot speeding ahead.

--

A/N: Hey guise. So this is my first update this week, I plan on updating on my other three books some other time this week :)

I know this is a short chappy but I'm tired and I have twenty pages of Catcher in the Rye to read this morning. I sowy. 

So how about 15+ votes on this chapter for the second part of the Chariot Race? 

Thanks for your continued support despite my absense! I appreciate all of your sympathy and understanding :)