Chapter 30 - Change My Mind

"The end of the night, we should say goodbye. But we carry on while everyone's gone" Change My Mind, One Direction

Faye's POV

The minute the word escapes my mouth, I am overwhelmed by regret and I begin to panic. My breaths are hitched and shallow, it doesn't feel like any air is getting into my lungs. I begin to cough and I try to suck in a breath, but fail miserably.

Leo takes notice, his expression of confusion transforming into a look of terror and concern. "Oh my Gods, Faye," he murmurs as he widens his eyes. "I think you're having a panic attack!"

He approaches me, suddenly becoming calm and patient. His eyes lock with mine as he gently places a hand on the shoulder. The gesture soothes me. 

"Just focus on breathing slowly," Leo tells me slowly. He demonstrates a few breaths, urging me to follow his lead. 

The panic fades out of me, but it still leaves me incredibly frightened. "Thank you," I hiccup.

Leo only nods, shaking bits of curly brunette hair into his eyes. I lift my hand to lightly brush it away and tuck each strand behind his ears.

Before I even know it, we lunge forward at the same exact moment. Our lips connect the way they once have before, our hands clasped together as well. Although it had felt like the love had vanished, I know it has returned, perhaps even stronger than it has been before. 

I'm left breathless once more as our hearts beat in sync. "We should stop," I say against his rough lips. 

He ignores me and continues to kiss me. The night before, there was only roughness and lust with each kiss. This time, there's passion lingering in the air.

Finally, he pulls apart with his smug grin and simply wraps an arm around my waist. "I miss nights likes these," he whispers. "I miss when we were always like this."

"This isn't right," I lie. Every second with him feels like the start of something beautiful over and over again. Like a flower unfolding or a butterfly extending his wings. But I know in my heart that this relationship has been based on a lie and that I cannot let it continue. "We have to stop."

His face falls in disappointment. "Why?"

"Because of the Love Games," I answer, still wary of another panic attack. The truth will only make me more unforgivable than I already am. The truth will reveal who I truly am and what I've become. 

Leo shakes his head. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it doesn't change anything. I don't need to know."

"Yes, you do," I insist. I untangle my hand from his and gesture to a wooden stool. "You should sit down."

He obliges and looks to me expectantly. "This won't change how I'll always feel about you."

I can feel another one coming, another panic attack. There is no ounce of hope within me that he'll still feel the same way towards me any more. I'll become the girl who ruined his life, not the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. "Like I said," I say as I gain control again, "Aphrodite tradition."

--

Leo's POV

Honestly, I wish the Love Games were a competition to see who can bang the most people or who can get the most numbers. The Love Games, as it is, is exactly as it sounds. A petty game where the daughters and sons of Aphrodite play with the hearts of people who haven't ever been loved before and make them feel as if they are. 

I can't seem to make eye contact with Faye anymore. The feeling from just a moment ago has vanished. In that moment, the passion we shared for each other had came back to life. We had resurrected it so easily. 

Months of falling for each other could never disappear so easily. Yet, these news still manage to make me uncertain of our entire relationship together. Faye hasn't even attempted to insist that it was real, like the heroines do so in romantic comedies after the truth bomb has been dropped. She only explains the games and nothing else. 

"Was it-" My voice breaks. "Was it all fake?"

Her beautiful, brown eyes fall with tears brimming at the edges. "In the beginning, I've always said it wasn't. I tried my best to avoid falling for you, but I guess it was inevitable."

I don't know what to say anymore, hell, I don't even know what I'm feeling right now. Anger, for sure. Remorse, definitely. Depression, oh yes. I'm pretty sure my head is exploding right now.

"When I initially started falling for you, Piper told me to go for it. She had faith in me not to go too far with this. I-I think she thought I could save you."

"Save me from what?" I utter, refusing to move my gaze from the ground. 

She releases a sigh. "Yourself."

"I didn't need to be saved," I say thickly as I rise to my feet. "Nor did I need your charity. But clearly that's not what you wanted to give to me, Faye."

Her shoulders slump and she remains in silence.

"I'm sure you had good intentions in the beginning and everything. Maybe I did need to be saved, but that's not what I wanted. The Faye that I met was not the person that you are now. You used to resent everything that Aphrodite has come to stand for. You were bringing back the true meaning to her name. That's the Fallon that I fell in love with. The girl you are now, she is manipulative, vindictive, and a liar. I thought you were better than them, I really did."

And I leave her there as tears stream down her face. Soon enough, they're falling down my own as well. 

--

A/N: Wow that was intense. 

UPDATE ON TIME YIPPEE I DESERVE A PIE.

Okay let's get down to business (to defeat the huns...okay no?) so let's say 30+ votes and 25+ comments on this chapter for an update on thursday.

The song for this chapter is Change My Mind because when I started to write this I knew how I wanted Leo to react but I was really hoping I'd change my mind :( but anyway the wind blows...(DOESN'T REALLY MATTER TO ME...BUT IT DOES...)

The picture just helps define Leo's character. I mean, behind the jokes and the laughter, he's obviously been emotionally traumatized from his mother's death and also because of the loneliness he's felt for so long. Gah, my poor baby. 

Anyways, the end is coming soon. I already know how I'm going to end this and there is no way I'm changing my mind. Prepare for five or so more chapters plus an epilogue. Oh my gods this is gonna kill me.

Dedication goes to bookwormliv because your comment made me crack up because we all know Leo would damn well say that. In fact, he'd probably say it in like shop class by accident and get detention XD HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY FINGER SON OF A BITCH I'LL SLAP YOU!! Yep, I can't stop laughing.

Dedication to a commenter...

-EMILIA