Chapter 5 - Suspicions...

Drew groans from her bunk and flips over, silencing Piper and I. Piper locks eyes with me and gives me a small nod before turning over and acting as like she's sleeping.

Without any warning, Drew sits straight up in her bed and blows a whistle. "Morning," she shouts in her nasally voice. "Clean. Now. We have cabin inspections! MOVE YOU LAZY ASSES!" 

We all shoot up and don't question her. "Can't we shower first?" my half sister, Lacy, squeaks.

"No! Any more retarded questions?" Drew barks. 

I grit my teeth at her use of the word 'retarded' as an adjective, but keep my mouth shut. I know better than to stir any trouble with Drew, I mean if I did it would be like committing social and physical suicide. Drew rests her back on the cabin wall next to her bed and watches us all carefully, but she eventually gives up and starts flipping through a magazine with a picture of One Direction on the cover.

"Mitchell!" Drew shrieks all of a sudden.

"What?" Mitchell's eyes travel to the ground, frightened to meet Drew's fiery dark eyes.

Drew pulls out a pair of white orthodontist shoes from under her pillow. Why she keeps them there, I have no idea. "You're slacking. Shoes of shame. On now!" She chucks the shoes at him, narrowly missing his head. Thank goodness he ducked at just the right second.

"I haven't been slacking!" Mitchell protests angrily.

"Would anyone like to disagree with me?" she asks openly to the rest of the cabin.

We remain silent, trying to focus on our work so we could take showers. "But that's not fa-"

"Don't you dare tell me that isn't fair. Shoes of shame on!" Drew cut him off, smiling viciously. 

Mitchell heaves a sigh and slips on the ugly white shoes before continuing his chores. We work in silence for the next half an hour. When we finally finish, Drew's hench woman (who was perched on the bed directly below Drew), Aubrey sent us all of so Drew and her could make out with their boyfriends.  

I grunt, looking back at Aubrey through the cabin window. She's an absolute bitch, maybe not on the same level as Drew, but pretty damn close to it. Her fiery red hair falls over her shoulders in curly ringlets, and her eyes are a sparkling emerald, able to catch the attention of anybody in a mile radius. She was picked the previous night as well for the games, and she already lost her virginity. Aubrey always has a boy at her side, usually a different boy everyday. 

"We've been kicked out of our cabin for an orgy," Piper mutters to me as we fall in step, interupting my hate filled thoughts for Aubrey

I readjust my towel slung over my shoulder as we walk. "Aubrey's going to win, isn't she?"

"No," Piper says. I cock an eyebrow. "Okay, so the competitors aren't supposed to know eachother's targets. You know that."

"Yes, but-"

"Leo's been double booked," she interjects. "Aubrey has the same boy as you."

"What? How is that even possible?" I ask, shocked. 

Piper shrugs and throws her long brunette hair over her shoulder. "Drew screwed up and she's too lazy to change it."

 "I'm screwed."

"No you aren't," Piper stops in her tracks as we just get to the door of the bath hall before any of our half siblings. "Leo is better than that, and like I said last night, he will fall for you."

"How do you know that?"

"Don't try to act like you've never noticed," Piper snorts and rests her back against the door, blocking off any of our complaining siblings as we wait. "The way he looks at you," she taunts, "the gleam in his eyes when he sees you..."

"That's not possible."

"This is what I don't understand," Piper continues. "A daughter of Aphrodite afraid of falling in love? It's practically unheard of. That's why you've never had any boyfriends before, and I guess why you don't like making friends-"

"What about you?" I cut in.

Piper nods, letting a smile slip onto her tanned face. "Definitely a friend, but that's not the point. You shut everyone out. Why?"

"I don't shut everyone out," I deny, even though a small voice in my head is screaming that it's true, especially since dad died. "Please move," I say to Piper, not willing to continue our conversation.

"Fine," Piper gives in and pushes open the door. "Oh look," she says to me as I just pass the doorway.  She points to the Hephaestus cabin, where Leo is sitting on top of the roof fixing something. He waves to me as he sees me. "And you continue to act like you don't know."

"I don't know," I lie, then put a fake smile on my face before waving back, but Leo in the midst of his waving nearly fell off the roof, turning my fake smile into a very real one. 

"And you really like him too," Piper places a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"I am too."

--

A/N: Surprise, surprise! (: I figured it would be too long to update on the second, so short and early update. Long update still scheduled for the second, so don't fret. However, I will need 2+ votes for that to happen, my lovelies, on this chapter. 

Thanks for everything and HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

-Emily