Chapter 13 - Only Fools Rush In

As I wait outside of the Hephaestus Cabin, the butterflies erupt in my stomach, fluttering around each time I hear the door creak open. I get my hopes up each time it swings open (and it has several times already) and reveals another one of Leo's half sister or brother. 

He finally emerges from the cabin, lightly humming an old tune I haven't heard in ages. My dad would sing it to me, remembering my mother as he did so. "All set, Fallon?"

I straighten my back, I've been leaning against the cabin for at least fifteen minutes, anxiously waiting. "I guess," I answer. "What took you so long?"

Leo shrugs, then adjusts his orange tool belt around his waist. "I have a surprise for you when we get there," he tells me mischievously.

"Leo," I start, only to be cut off by him pulling a finger to my lips.

"No protesting," he commands, smirking slightly. "Let's go before it gets too dark."

--

Leo's POV 

It takes all my willpower not to stare at her, take in her glowing presense when I finally leave my bunk in the cabin. 

I want this to be the perfect night, it has to be the perfect night.

The thing about Faye is that she is gorgeous, but refuses to believe it. She doesn't want to believe it. She's wearing the same old camp half blood tee and faded jeans along with sneakers. There isn't a single ounce of make up on her already perfect face. 

Her dark eyes light up when she sees me, but she looks slightly frustrated. "All set, Fallon?" I act casually, like there's nothing wrong with me be as late as I am. To tell the truth, I sat there on my bunk for a quarter hour staring at the ceiling, trying to make sure everything is perfect. I kept on doubting myself and refused to move. It took Jake Mason and Nyssa to shove me out of my top bunk to get me moving. They also had to push me out of our heavy metal (not to mention high tech) doors. 

She stands up a bit straighter. I worry that she must have been waiting outside this entire time, just leaning on the metal side of cabin nine. "I guess," she sounds a bit tired. "What took you so long?"

"I have a surprise for you when we get there," I say, an evil grin making its way to my lips. 

The look on her face tells it all, she doesn't want me to do anything for her. "Leo," she begins.

I cut her short by placing a finger to her perfect pink lips. "No protesting," I order. "Let's just go before it gets too dark out."

Her shoulders slump, she has given up. "Alright then, lead the way, Valdez."

This time, I don't have to cover her eyes as I lead her to the bunker. I was almost uncertain at the time that I did, but now I know she's definitely trustworthy. No one else knows about bunker 9 yet, the same goes for Festus. Just her. 

Tonight is the night, the night where I either cower or be brave. Fallon has already taught me to be brave, to be defiant, to be myself. She doesn't know how special she is, not at all. "Almost there," I tell her as we push through the various trees and shrubs. I pull a branch out of the way to prevent it from getting in her way.

Faye gingerly steps over it, then trips over a tree root she didn't see. In her desperation, she grabs onto my arm to pull herself up, but ultimately brings me tumbling down with her. I don't feel any pain as I hit the ground, I'm erupting with laughter instead. I think I finally may have found someone just as clutzy as myself. "Sorry," she mumbles, then blushes. A pale pink spreads to her sun tanned cheeks. 

I entwine my hand with hers and pull her back to her feet. I can't seem to stop laughing. I finally gain control of myself and say, "We're here." 

"Where?" She brushes some dark hair from her eyes and glances around in the darkness. 

I smirk cockily, then release her hand. "You'll see," I say ominously.

She watches me closely as I remove several straw branches and vines from the way. "No way," Faye says in awe. 

"Yes way," I reply, then grasp her cold hand. "Come on," I urge her forward.

She takes slow steps towards the bunker, she acted as if it was an illusion, fooling her eyes. I fumble with the keys in my tool belt, then finally pull out a slender gold key I've forged specifically for the lock I've put onto the door. I quickly unlock it, then push the heavy door open. I can hear her gasp when everything comes into view. "You didn't," she whispers in disbelief.

I've set up a candle lit dinner, just for her. "But I did." I rush over to one of the seats and pull it back for her to sit down in.

"Leo... I can't accept this," she starts, shaking her head.

I bring a finger to my lips, silencing her. She obeys and slowly begins towards the table, then finally collapses in the chair. I decide to be a gentlemen and push in the seat for her. 

Grinning as I do so, I take a seat at the chair on the opposite end. "What do you think?"

"It's... it's... unexpected," she says doubtfully. 

"Wait," I remember, "Before we eat, can I have this dance?" I rise from my seat and extend a hand to her. She takes it and lugs herself up. With my free hand, I turn on mini radio. I've already chosen the perfect song for us.

"I suppose so," she answers, then wraps her thin arms around my neck. We sway to the music together. Our bodies are only inches apart, I can feel the heat radiating from her body.

Wise men say,

only fools rush in,

but I can't help falling in love with you.

I pull my head back to look into her beautiful chocolate brown eyes. I am a fool, I've fallen for someone incredibly out of my league, someone who belongs with a professional athlete or a boy like Jason. Yet here I am, holding her in my arms, out hearts beating as one. For so long I've been looking for someone to see past my so called 'annoying' extorior. The first time I met her, she laughed at my jokes. I took pride in the fact that I made her smile so easily.

Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin?

For I can't help falling in love with you.

Would it be a sin to stay with Fallon? She deserves someone better than me, someone much more honest, more muscular. What would she want to do with a scrawny son of Hephaestus anyways?

Like a river flows surely to the sea,

so it goes, some things are meant to be.

Some things are meant to be. I pray to the Gods that this is one of them.

Take my hand, 

take my whole life too,

'cause I can't help falling in love with you.

I'd give her anything to be able to call her mine, to be able to hold her in my arms forever, to feel her cold lips upon my own. But I am a fool ultimately, I've fallen for a daughter of Aphrodite, a beautiful, honest, caring, and down-to-earth girl. 

We continue swaying to the music in silence, but our eyes stay glued to each other. I can see the doubt, the sincerity, the hardships she's faced just by looking into those orbs. As I look at her, I remember again that I'm a fool. Nothing this beautiful could last forever, but I can pray it can last for a little while.

--

A/N: Thanks for waiting forever for an update, I luff you guys :)

9+ votes for the next chappy? Pleeeeeease :3

Thank you all for the support, we're so close to a hundred votes! WOOT WOOT!

-Em