Chapter 18

It was a split second moment but Cal slipped from under my crashing body to leap over onto the Alpha.  His jaw moved to close over the Were's throat with a resounding snap but he missed.  Alpha Bax had already been trying to pull back too late from crushing me but his efforts did manage to save himself.

He flung himself to the side and changed immediately to his human form. Cal was already there beside me.

" Are you okay? " He demanded. Hus human face peering concernedly into mine. I blinked and whined.

" You will have to change back or you will die," came Alpha Bax's voice of authority over my shoulder. I whimpered.  There was no way I could change back as shattered as I was. It was no mere broken bones as before.  Nope this time it was shattered. I was sure of it. I felt my eyes water and  couldn't help the tears that rolled down my furry snout.

" She can't change, you idiot.  She's hurting, " said Calvin wobbly.  The tears that rolled down my face was not my own.

"There is a way to save her but for me to do that I will first need her to change back to her human form," he said insistently his deep voice shaking with his urgency.

" How? How will you save her?" Asked Calvin suspiciously.  He wasn't called the brains of our family for nothing.

" I will mark her as my mate. The markings of a Were works differently then a shifter. It has the ability to heal. The mating mark is the only blemish the mate can wear. All past scars will fade. I know my mark will heal her. I don't have a true mate anymore so my mark can be wholly hers.  There is no reason why it shouldn't work."

Calvin's eyes shot up to meet the Alpha's searchingly before he locked them back on mine.

" Change! " He demanded and my whimper of refusal tore through the woods. It wasn't just that I didn't want to be marked but that I couldn't be even if I wanted to. I was shattered.  Bloody shattered there were no bones left to be remade into the human me. But the two of them towering over me were not having that as an excuse.  I could see it in the grim determination in their eyes. I didn't know why though.

Cal wouldn't have me around anymore to annoy and harass him. The Alpha will still have Kate as his mate and she was far more beautiful then me. And more mature too. Lets not forget that. And capable.  Yes, there was that too. She was  Luna material I realised with sudden dawning insight. This must have been divime intervention from the gids themselves. 

Maybe fate thought the Alpha would err in his decision and fate stepped in to take me out of the way. I have done my deed.  I have saved the future King and hopefully in the process knocked some sense into his witless brain. The Alpha would care well enough for him. Dad has afterall entrusted him into his care. He may have the wright of it. Certainly the Alpha was stronger then any shifter or mere Were's for that matter. He would mate with Kate and take Cal under his wings.

It was perfect really.  Couldn't have worked out better then if I had planned this myself.

I felt a little odd.  Lightheaded and hazy. Blotches of black splattered across my vision and I knew I was loosing too much blood.  I had coughed up quite a bit too and was no doubt choking on the rest.

I felt my eyes close in resignation but the last breath that drew from my lips was etched not in dispair but in relief.