Chapter 33

I made it but just barely.

Trotting back at a sedate pace instead of an outright run took all I had. I felt my energies seep out of me with every step I took. My concentrations was whole to keep my larger than life, fearsome and snarling wolf form.

I was shaking visibly from  the effort and the exertion even as I climbed the last of the stairs that led to my rooms. But I didn't look back. I knew all eyes were on me.  I knew what was at stake. I knew what I needed to do. And what I needed was to stand firm, stand tall and stand up for my race of shifters. We were not weaklings that the fayefolks believed us to be.

I tossed my head and controlled the tremble in my limbs. I turned one last time letting out a blood curling raw that shuddered through every wolf being in the vicinity.  Answering snarls errupted about me but then all canine gazes  tore away from me as  if drawn by a greater force.  And it was a greater force.

My mate the Alpha stood at the opposite end one foot inside the great house. His stance was obvious to all. Threat glistened from the pearly whites of bared his canine teeth. The growl rumbling from deep within his depths was echoed by my own.  Heads swung back to me.

The Alpha strutted out towards me drawing eyes to him again. I waited till he reached the centre of the great hall then I turned and in two bounds I was through my doorway and turning back into human form to land in a crumpled perspiring heap on the bed. I shook and rattled from the exertion.  Black spots danced around my eyes drawing me in to its cool and inviting depths.

I felt a soft voice whisper in my ear,"Rolene? Rolene,  are you alright? "

But I couldn't answer Kate. Blood rushed to my head. I felt it seep out my nose and the wetness in my ear told me I bled through there too.

"What the hell?" The angry tones of the Alpha promised vengence without reprieve.

With that the remains of what little blood was left depleted from my brains. The drain left me white and instantly unconcious.