The Bane of My Existence

"Calvin you asshole! I am going to rip you apart and then eat your heart out!"

The hysterical laughter that met my pronouncement only served to jar me into action. With unbecoming speed I ripped out of my shorts and t-shirt and pounced on all fours before with a strategic leap I brought down the laughing hyena, my own brother called Calvin.

"Rolene! Rolene Bane! You get your dirty paws off your brother this instant!" Mother all but shrieked alarmingly. I growled fiercely. It was not fair. She always took his side. I heard another growl errupt nearby. Great!

I swung about in anticipation of an ambush and sure enough my older sister, Kate and her twin brother, Matthew came bounding out of the bushes heading straight for me. I knew then I was done for there was no way I could fight them both and live to tell the tale. Mother's shrieks calling for ceasefire was ignored by one and all. A wolf never backed down from a challenge. I shifted my hind paw back and placed my contrasting front paw forward. I braced myself and let out a challenging howl.

The howl was cut off mid way as their hot furry bodies torpedoed into mine sending me sprawling a few feet away on impact. I bounded back immediately onto my paws. I was not going down without a fight.

Vicious snarls errupted behind me. Reinforcements. Finally! I backed up carefully keeping my golden eyes trained on my advancing siblings. Calvin sat down to observe the progress with interest but before anymore action could happen. The cavalry had arived. My dad and oldest brother, Raul trotted into view both snarling unpleasantly at tge lot of us. I didn't know why I was being included in the mix. I was the victim here.

A victim on all counts. I turned back to snarl at Calvin threateningly. But he only broke out into snorts of uncontrolled laughter. Really! How was he even one of us? He should have been born a hyena. It was more fitting. I watched with undisguised dusgust as he rolled around on the ground shaking in laughter.

Shaking my own head I trotted between my adversaries with mu snuff held high. I went to grab the scraps of my clothing where they lay shredded on the ground. I winced at the sight of my favourite tshirt. I threw a furious growl at the unrepentant Calvin. This was his fault too. I would have to patch it up and make do.

As if I didn't already look like the very poorest begger kid at school. I ran inside carting my clothing between my jaws and went to change. I was back dressed and ready to lay the blame where it was due.

"Papa!" I begun ready to lay into it but I was cut short.

"Not now Rolene! I have things to discuss with your mother". Saying that he marched off with mother and Raul in tow. I caught Raul's sympathetic wink but was not appeased. I knew exactly what they had to discuss. It was the same as always. Our damn neighbours. The bloody Hiltons were once again trying to buy us out. Like that would ever happen. This here was prime property retained in the family for generations after generations and it will always be so. We were not rich enough fight them but we were shifters. And that counted for everything.

I stared back at horrid Calvin and then at my other siblings. The fight had gone out of me. I didn't care anymore that Calvin posted that bloody picture of me in my pj's on Facebook. So what if I had rollers in my hair and a face mask too. And lets not mention my foam filled mouth with the tooth brush hanging out. No I may have wanted Calvin dead for that only a moment ago but now I felt only numb.

I looked at Matt and saw that he too looked worried. This land was our home. I couldn't bare to even picture life away from here. It was not possible. This land was in my blood. It was in my soul. Sharig a glance at my three siblings I saw that they felt that way too.