Chapter 16

It was with great effort that I pried Cal away from his solid hold of his position by the wall. We joined in a gusto. Rucking up ribald jokes and loud laughter to nothing much in particular.

The party trashed on into the wee hours of the night. The Weres topped us shifters when it came to holding our drinks.  In the spirit of competition I managed to get a good amount of booze into Cal and myself and so we were tippsy and singing along with the other Were revellers lewd drinking songs that I had no business knowing.  Then I saw the new arrivals.

" Cody, " I breathed out startled. I didn't expect them to turn up but dad had indeed it seemed invited everyone.

I left in a drunken hurry to intercept them on their way in but my feet tumbled over each other and I braced for a resounding crash.

" Got you," murmured the deep dark voice in my ear.

Raising my head to meet his ever green eyes, I waited for the world to stop spinning before I saying, " I got to go." I wiggled my way out of his embrace and rushed over to where Cody Hilton stood with his father and family.

"Cody!" I called out claiming his attention.  He turned flashing his megawatt blue gaze and beaming smile my way. I stared in astonishment.  For the first time in a life lifetime his smile failed to move me. I all but gaped at him in utter confusion. 

" Rolene!  Quite a party you have going on here. What's the occasion?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Wish I knew, " was all I said.  Then I offered him a hesitant smile and was rewarded with another one of his category five power packed grin that strangely fell flat  about my shoulders. 

I turned away then dumbfounded and desiring escape.  To find out so suddenly that the man I have been secretly worshipping my whole life.  Whose smiles had never failed to rouse me up into a quivering puddle of need. Now meant nothing at all took some getting used to.  And I needed to do that in the sanctuary of my room.

"Get the fuck out!" I yelled at the couple of strangers making out in my bed. They tumbled out in a drunken heap and scrambled ungracefully for the door. I slammed it shut after them and turned to lock the doors.

I collapsed into my bed turning away from my faithful ceiling who had hung over me through thick and thin to focus on the myriad of colours and vibrancy on the wall of my making.

I stared till my eyes were tired and drifted shut of their own accord.

I woke close to noon the next day. Starving for food.  In a tumbled hurry I freshened up for the day and followed my nose to the kitchens.  The mouth watering aroma had ecstatic tears of joy fill my eyes.

I made for the table already set up and laddened with food only to come to an abrupt stop by the call of my name.  With a muffled groan I turned to face my mother.

" Lunch is ready. Go call everyone," said mum in a commanding tone that brooked no resistance.

I groaned and crawled off my perch in search of everyone. I popped outside thinking I'll cover those furtherest first before I tackled those in the house.  I spotted Raul chopping wood with a few Were girls blatantly ogling at his flexing biceps.

"Lunch!" I announced with disgruntlement.  Some people were just lucky in getting all the action.

I shuffled over past his groupies to where Calvin was practice fighting with another bunch of Weres. No females here.  So I called out roughly, " PUNCH!"

Then I turned around to head back indoors and stopping by the library where my dad was in serious discussion with the Alpha and more Weres, I stuck my head in and yelled," Munch!"

Then I hurried back towards the kitchen for my meal.  Ignoring mum's shaking head of exasperation I laddled up a generous helping of beef stew.