Chapter 35

"You should know better than to take that tone with me. Especially after that stunt you just pulled," said Alpha Bax menacingly. " You almost died on me. "

I stared up at him silently. It was shocking to admit he was right. I had been beyond stupid. Nearly killing myself to prove to the Weres that I was their equal when I clearly wasn't.

" I am sorry, " I dropped my gaze away from the green emerald glinting with an abundance of worry and fear. The man had already lost a mate, I should n't have put him at a risk of loosing another.

"Sorry isn't good enough. "

I watched his expression hardened fearsomely before he turned around to march himself out the door.  I knew he needed to cool off. Having bothers who were constantly at some point in anger over me made me recognise the signs quite accurately.

I sighed heavily feeling light headed from all the stress I had put myself through.  Despite the wrongness of what I had done, I was actually glad I had done it.  I made my stand. That was first step necessary in facing my adversaries.

Alpha Bax while respected for his position of power within the pack had underestimated the loyalty of his member s to the point of expecting their clear acceptance of me as his mate. It wasn't going to happen.  Not until I made it happen.

That was the one thing I have always been good at. Making things happen.

The fight was on. With stealth and silently but with no less lethal an ammunition.  Alpha Bax may have brought us shifters into the fold but it was up to us to earn our rights to stay.

And earn it we will.

The whiff that met my nostrils alerted me before the knock on the door sounded Calvin's return. I braced myself for round two of admonishment. Calvin didn't dissapoint. Stepping through the doorway, he begun his attack immediately. 

"What the fuck were you thinking?"

He moved in swiftly to glare down at me. "You could have killed yourself let alone provoked the Weres to do the job for you. How could you be so stupid?"

I groaned out loud at his outburst. " Ye Gods, Calvin! Give me a breather at least before you shove all that down my throat.  All I did was take a little stroll."

" You most certainly did not do just that and you know it. Stop provoking trouble! "

"I am provoking respect not trouble! "

" Respect is earned not obtained by daring Weres to tear into their sorry hides!"

"Earn? How the fuck do you expect me to do that? You saw how they treated us at breakfast.  There's no way we're getting any unless we bully it out of them."

" God!  Do you hear yourself?"

The concerned look Calvin wore on his face was appalling.  A concerned Calvin was usually worrying or irritating or something equally awful in kind.  To have that concern turned on me made it all ten times worse.

" Stop it! Take that concern off your face. I don't need it."

"You need a bloody keeper.  Oh wait you already have one. Perhaps I should go  speaking about this with him instead? "

The treath was clear in his eyes and mind numbing to me. I yelped painfully and made a move to press my hands over my heart.

"You stab me Calvin.  You really do," I muttered unhappily. But Calvin's serious expression of meaning business didn't waver and that he was right on all counts made it all the more difficult for me to accept.

Brute force was not the way to go about dealing with the Weres.  What I needed was cunning.  Pure and simple ingenious.

What as more cunning then a cat?

Raising appraising eyes I took in Calvin's suddenly baffled expression knowingly.

" Whatever you are thinking stop it right now! "

" Me? I'm not thinking about anything Calvin.  You on the other hand had better start putting that good brain to good use."