Chapter 43

A week plus and still Alpha Bax deemed my punishment not ended.

That my punishment was merely my own self-restraint being willfully imposed on me didn't make it any easier. I wasn't one for restraints of anykind. Call it my woffy nature but the very idea of shackles physical or otherwise sent me running around in circles chasing my tail crazy. So that was exactly what I ended up doing. Running around in circles chasing after my elusive mate, Alpha Bax... I was still incredibly drawn to him.

Yet it was the Alpha himself who suffered more and he had his wolf to contend with also. Even though I was no mate to his wolf our bond was impeachable. His wolf had to accept me and in doing so would suffer from this self imposed restraint that the Alpha had entrusted upon the both of us.

The worst of it was that I didn't understand why or what he intended to be the outcome.

I wasn't going to change. Impulsive and wild is just a few of my more favourable attitude. The full list of which is retained most diligently by Calvin.

So I spent the night as usual, tossing and turning with restless energy so that I was up before dawn. Dressed and out of our room before even a soul could be heard stiring along these stone cold corridors.

Actually it was only the soulless who stirred at all. The soulless being the enslaved whose souls had been so evilly locked away. They were the only ones up and about attending to duty. Along with the night guards of course. Them and one grumpy shifter brother, Calvin.

I grabbed an apple off a tray from the passing slaves carting trays of food from the kitchens to the dining room. Tossing it into the air ones twice before I sunk my teeth into it I moved to sink down onto my haunches beside my brother similarly stationed against the wall where he kept his gaze trained on the far corner of the dining room. There was just one other clothed amongst the hustle and bustle in the dining room. And she was a souless. The Alpha's sister.

I pursed my lips together and wolf whistled. The sound was loud and shrill and had all the attributes of a quality dog whistle. It stopped everyone in their tracks and turned all eyes on me... us.

"What the hell? Why did you do that?" Bit out Calvin furiously as he swiftly rose to his feet. I merely shrugged my shoulders and kept my eyes trained to the far corner of the room.

Nada!

No reactions at all. Neither the clothed Alpha's sister nor the rest of the enslaved wolves reacted in anyway other than to mutely stare at me. Their expressionless countenance said it all. They were unaffected by the insult delivered. My whistle provoked nothing.

I turned up a blank face to stare pointedly at Calvin. I had proved my point. A wolf without a soul didn't react emotionally. The Alpha's sister therefore in association had no fond feelings towards my dear brother. His love was not returned.