66. Not Today

I woke up to my son's cries. He had slept quite peacefully through the rest of the night, after coming into this harsh world, but now he was hungry and there was no time to lose. 

"I'm coming, my love." I murmured, lifting my face from a plush pillow.

"I've got him. You rest." Zach insisted as he lifted our boy from the crib we had smuggled inside the tent, thanks to Griffin. 

"He's hungry," I said and reached for him. Supporting his neck, I cradled him in my arms and sat back down on the bed, allowing him access to my breast, where he latched happily. 

"Any thoughts?" Zach asked, sitting beside me.

"No. I thought sleeping on it would give me some sort of divine inspiration, but I was so exhausted I think I forgot to dream." 

"That's alright. We have time." Zach said as he gently stroked the baby's head with his thumb. 

I watched him gurgle and groan as he ate, his eyes still closed. "We could name him after your father."

Zach gaffawed. "Anything but that."

I smiled, and held my son's soft hand, which clasped around my finger. 

"You know," Zach sighed. "My father is here, actually."

I looked up. "What?"

"Yeah. He arrived a few hours before you did."

"Well where is he now?"

"I have no clue, but wherever he is, he can stay there." He leaned in and pecked my lips. "I want my family all to myself."

I giggled. "Alright then."

He kissed me again, longer this time, lingering on my lips as if I were slipping away, and he wanted to stay right here, this way forever.

"My King!" Someone shouted and came barging in.

"Griffin! God damn it!" Zach groaned. He grabbed a pillow and put it between me and the entrance to the bedroom, where his friend had just come barging in. 

"I- I'm so sorry, My Queen." Griffin said and scrambled out of the room. 

I chuckled. "That's alright Griffin! He's done anyway."

Zach sighed and went to follow Griffin. "I'll be back."

I placed the baby in the crib and resitated myself, putting on a robe, and leaving the bedroom. The two men were seated at the table in the strategy room, with solemn looks on their faces.

Zach stood, "Liv-"

"I can do it," I insisted as I made my way to the chair on his left.

"You need to rest."

"I need to know about what is happening." I said. "I can tell when you lie to me and you lied yesterday about everything being fine, didn't you?"

He said nothing and sat once more.

"Griffin, tell me about yesterday."

Griffin looked to Zach, searching for his approval. He nodded.

"One of our generals was killed yesterday."

"By whom?"

"We don't know. Interviews are going on as we speak."

"Where did it happen?"

Zach put a hand on the table and looked me in the eyes. "It happened inside of camp. I didn't tell you this yesterday for obvious reasons, but it isn't safe here, not for either of you. You'll have to leave immediately."