3. Mine

I wake up from the most comfortable sleep I have had in ages, to find myself in an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar bedroom. From looking out the window I see it is dark outside, but a lamp is on beside the bed, keeping the bedroom dimly lit. I sit up and look around, it is warm in the room, just how I like it, I am covered by a thin sheet in the king sized canopy bed, my arm is bandaged up, and a folded outfit is on the chair by the sliding glass door that leads to the balcony.

I throw the sheet off of me and walk over to the outfit, it is a mint green blouse and black leggings, they are them perfect size.

The door opens, I turn around but I can already sense who it is. I make eye contact with him and suddenly the door is slammed shut and I am pushed up against a wall roughly, he makes sure not to hurt me.

"Mine." He growls deeply and my heart skips a beat. His mouth goes to my neck where he starts to suck and nip at my skin. I know that I should probably stop him since he doesn't even know my name, but I really don't want to stop this and neither does he. His hands go to my waist and they start to trail down, I decide to stop him, but he does it himself once his hands get to my hips. He jumps backward, looking a bit apologetic. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that he stepped away and I can feel the heat coming off of my now red cheeks.

"What's your name?" He asks me, never breaking our eye contact as he takes small steps closer to me.

"Olivia Mayer." I breathe shakily, his face merely inches from mine. "Your Highness."

He growls again, shaking his head in disapproval. "You will not call me that, call me Zac."

I nod in agreement. He breaks our eye contact, his sight flashing down to my lips as he slowly closes the gap between us. I remain still, he gets so close that I can feel even his tiniest breath on my skin, I close my eyes.

A loud knock on the door makes me groan, he chuckles as he takes a step back, going to answer the door. "All in good time, my love."

A small part of me is thankful that we didn't kiss, I don't even know him, I don't want our first kiss to be as strangers.

I sit in the chair and listen in on the conversation Zac is having with whoever is in front of him.

"It's today."

"You can handle it without me, put Jack in charge."

"But sir, your father always attend the sorting."

The sorting. That is when all of this sets in. Yesterday I ran away from two things, the King and his law, today I have found that I am the King's mate. The King's mate. That makes me..the Queen.

"Holy shit." I mutter to myself.

Zac glances over his shoulder at me, clearly amused by what I said, but I am anything but amused. This is serious, this means I have a say in the law and the way it is enforced. This also means trouble, I could drive Zac away, he could regret being my mate, he could have us both sorted and have me matched, he is the King. I want to tell myself that my mate would never do that to me, but then again he is forcing thousands of girls to rip a piece of their soul out, their mate. I do not deserve to be the only girl free from this law. Maybe Zac will listen, after all, his father is the one who drafted the law, Zac only became King last year.

The door closes, Zac returns to my side. "What's wrong?"

I look to him. "I am the daughter of an Alpha, I was supposed to be sorted and matched today."

He shrugs. "Well, lucky you got out of it."

"Why do you allow girls to be forced into marriages?" I ask him. "It isn't right, a person deserves to be with their mate. What if I was taken, right now, by another man who claimed that I was his, by order of the King?"

He growls. "Don't say that."

"My point exactly." I claim and look him in the eyes, begging. "Please, cancel it."

"I can't just cancel it, it has been a tradition around the world for years." He argues.

"Zac, please." I beg him. "I can't just sit here while I know there are girls in this building who are being forced into marriages against their will."

He shakes his head and walks away from me. I glare at him and stand up. "Fine, mark me."

"What?" He asks, completely shocked at my sudden change in demand.

"Mark me." I repeat. "You are the King and the Alpha of everyone in this pack. I am your mate, which makes me your Luna and your Queen. That means I can stop this, I don't need you to do it. But the mark would be helpful, considering nobody knows who I am or if they have to obey me or not, which they do. So, mark me."

He stares at me, slightly impressed, slightly surprised. We stare at each other for some time and I decide, screw it. I swing the door open and see a passing girl who looks about fifteen, not that much younger than me.

"Hello, what's your name?" I ask her suddenly.

"Mary." She responds with a smile. "Are you-"

"I'm his mate." I gesture to the door behind me and Zac who I assume is also behind me, watching this unfold. "Can you please show me to wherever the sorting is happening right now?"

"Yes, Your Highness." She says and I am a bit taken aback, that will take some getting used to.

---

     Make sure to follow me on Wattpad and Instagram at:
@everybodyneedslov