16. Truths and Tales

The infirmary wing is where I stay for a few days. Zac stays with me but refuses to speak until I tell him what I have been hiding. Needless to say, I haven't and he hasn't talked to me in almost four days now. I have begged him to just drop the subject but he doesn't.

     Angela is my doctor, and she is just as confused as he is, but I have made her swear to keep my medical information hidden until I tell him. He might figure it out based on what I have told him about my past combined with my health records.

     I sit in my hospital bed, a white cast on my left wrist, silent. Zac stares at me intensely without a word. I glance at him now and then to see if he has moved, he hasn't.

     The silence becomes unbearable. I groan. "Can we please drop it?"

     He answers with the only word he can say to me these days. "No."

     "What can I do for you to forgive me?" I ask him. He doesn't respond. "What do you want?"

     Silence.

     I groan and squeeze the bridge of my nose, shutting my eyes. "You want the truth?"

     "Yes."

     I hate this. I hate all of this. I should have told him the first day I met him. I would have saved myself from watching what little liking he might have for me be extinguished.

     "I am from the Lunar Moon pack." I remind him.

His eyes widen a little in fear. I can tell he has a hint of what I am getting at, but doesn't want to believe it. "What does that have to do with it?"

Zac's Point of View

My heart skips a beat.

There is a legend about that pack that is widely accepted by the entire kingdom. I never believed it, until it becomes clear to me, now, through Olivia, that the old tale may be the truth.

Hundreds of years ago, far before the founding of the Kingdom, there was the Lunar Moon pack. Their Alpha was Graden Peters, who was supposedly the wisest werewolf to ever live. Alpha Graden fell in love with a witch and their child, Kiara, was the first white wolf. The white wolf was pure and beautiful, but her beauty drew danger.

Rogues heard of the birth of a pure being and sought to destroy it in fear that the wolf might have supernatural abilities. The rogues attacked and the family fled, but it is unknown if the they survived.

Never again have witches and werewolves mated, some say that is because the gods saw the destruction the white wolf brought and decided that it's purity was too much for this world. But rumors still get around, all across the kingdom there are reports of seeing white wolves but many of them are fabrications.

I gaze into Olivia's eyes and I pray to the Gods that she is not a white wolf.

Olivia's Point of View

"Do you know what I am?" I ask him, hating myself.

"Please tell me that you're a human." He shakes his head in fear.

"I am not a human." I tell him, he closes his eyes. "I am a white wolf."

He opens his eyes and looks at me painfully. "So what does this mean?"

"Nobody can ever know." I tell him. "I don't heal as fast as other wolves, sickness and injury effect me more, I am strongest in my wolf form, when I am in human form I have half the capabilities of a regular wolf. I'm not meant to be here."

I feel a lump in my throat. "Do you know what that is like? Knowing that you are not meant to be on this earth anymore, that the gods have tried to ensure that your species does not exist? It is horrible."

He approaches my bed and sits beside me, taking my face in his hands. "Shhh... It will be fine."

"It wasn't easy to hide it from my pack, imagine trying to hide it from an entire kingdom." I feel the tears start to run down my cheek. "And the laws! We are supposed to have a baby by the end of the year! The first child I have will be a white wolf, the rest of my children will have a recessive gene for it in case something happens to the child with the dominant gene! How can we teach children to hide like that?"

He squeezes my body to his chest. I cry into his green shirt and listen to his heart beat, trying to calm myself as he comforts me in whispers. I hate this; I hate my parents for having me when my mother knew she was a white wolf; I hate my sister for dying and making my recessive gene emerge; I hate that I hate the people and things I love because of this life I live.

"We will figure it out." He promises me, but he doesn't know what it is like. "I swear."

I nod, telling myself that I believe him when in reality I know that none of this will ever be okay. I ignore what I know and pretend because that is the best I can do. The best I will ever be able to do is pretend and protect myself and whoever else might come along.

***
A/N: TWICE! I updated twice today! This is so weird! I hope you guys are liking the story so far, kind of a new twist with the white wolf thing. I know some people don't like a white wolf complex and I am sorry if that is you but I hope you will stick around. More to come in the next few days. Thank you so much.