33. Becoming Her

My hands fidget in my lap, nervously. I am not looking forward to what we have to do next, what we have to do now, but I know that it will be good tomorrow once everyone adjusts.

     Zac and I are seated at the small round table in one of our private wing's parlors. There is tea and refreshments on the table, but I am not the least bit hungry.

     "They're down the hall," Zac says to me, able to hear them.

     I wish my hearing was that good. I wish any of the abilities I am supposed to have were that good. What if I can't make a good Queen? My condition-

     Zac places his hand on top of mine ad squeezes. I look to him. "You'll make a magnificent Queen. Do you hear me? Don't even think about that."

     "I'm never going to get used to you going through my thoughts." I half-laugh.

     "I'll teach you how to block it later." He says just as the doorknob clicks and the door opens. He flashes me a reassuring glance while we both rise to our feet.

     My parents, Queen Marcia, and Lou enter. They all are smiling, it appears that my parents are still quite excited by the palace and thing new wing they have yet to be in.

     They step toward seats,  but my mother stops in her tracks and sniffs the air. Her face goes white and her eyes go wide. My heart skips a beat, I know she smells me.

     "Jane?" My father asks. "You alright, dear?

     Her lips pull themselves into a sad smile and her eyes become a bit glossy while she looks at me longingly. She nods and steps away from my confused and mildly concerned father and comes toward me with her arms outstretched. I laugh shakily and embrace her.

     "What is going on?" Dad asks and Zac clears his throat, not really wanting to explain.

     Lou has the same confused look other face but the Queen-Mother's expression of understanding and happiness makes me think that she knows exactly what is going on. Mother's instinct I suppose.

     Mom steps back from me, but doesn't break contact. She keeps her hands on my upper arms and looks t me directly in the eye. "Look at you."

     She tucks a piece of hair behind my ear and lets few tears slip form her eyes.

     "Mom..." I smile back at her, feeling tears prick at my eyes as well.

     "No, I'm fine, I'm fine." She insists, wiping her moist cheeks and making her way to the seat beside me. She looks right at Zac and smiles at him.

      Lou gasps loudly, attracting all of our attention. "No! No freaking way!"

     "What?" My father interjects.

     Queen Marci and my mother chuckle at him.

     "OH MY GOD." Lou screams again and my dad just looks around at the seemingly swooning women around him.

     "What the hell is going on?" He exclaims.

      My stomach drops and the nervous feeling comes back.

     "Congratulations." Queen Marcia nods at her son and I. Her eyes lock with mine and I instantly feel warmer.

     "Pease, dear God," my dad groans at me. "Tell me you're not pregnant."

     I nearly choke. I look to Zac speechlessly and he puts his head in his hands. I turn my head back to my father. "No! No, God no! I'm not pregnant! Very not pregnant... I promise."

     He lets out a sigh of relief and sits back. "Oh thank the lord."

     Lou lets out a coughing-laughing sound and my mother squeezes my hand.

     "We called you all here today to inform you about some official palace business..." I trail off, squeezing Zac's muscular arm to get him to pick his head up of of the damn table.

     He does so and clears his throat. "Yeah."

     "My coronation." I tell them all and they smile. Lou whispers something to Queen Marcia and she nods.

     I look to my dad who finally seems to get it. He clears his throat and avoids eye contact for a second. "Uh, congratulations."

I laugh awkwardly.