36. New (Part II)

The ring fit my finger perfectly.

It was silver, with one main circular diamond in the center of the band, surrounded by a thin layer of smaller diamonds.

It wasn't flashy or overdoing it, in fact it looked simpler than a lot around the castle, like a ring that someone in my family and pack would be able to afford.

     Zac told me it belonged to his grandmother, who, for a long time, had nothing. She married young and lived with her husband out of the back of their car for a year or two, packless. When they finally could afford an apartment the first cases of hunters disease were reported in their city. She was human, and was unaware of the disease's spread, needless to say his death was a shock to her, and so was Marcia's arrival. They lived most of their lives together deep in poverty. When Marcia was twelve, her mother died from a heart attack, and the only possession she inherited was the ring.

So, to sum up my response in a few words, it meant a lot to me that that ring sat on my finger.

I loved it. I couldn't stop moving my hands around to see what it looked like in the different angles of light.

     I couldn't wait to tell people. But, I decided it was best to save it for the coronation. I would tell my parents first, then Maria and Lou, then Tilly and whomever else I wished.

     We had to keep it a secret for a while though, the public couldn't know until we give out a formal statement.

     The tabloids will have a frenzy. They'll spin any information they have into destruction.

     Even with the frustration that that thought brought me, I was ecstatic. The man I loved would become my husband in the coming months.

     Another date was coming closer, but in this moment, even that would be wonderful.

     The world was become brighter and nicer in general and I was becoming a new version of myself, better.

     Survival was a weight, but suddenly it was as light as a feather. My limbs were light and my stresses were behind me.

     "You'll be amazing tonight."

I smiled at him over my shoulder as I zipped my dress back up before leaning back to kiss him quickly.

"We should get downstairs to greet the guests." I thought aloud. "We don't want to be rude."

"They'll be happy to meet you even if you are a minute or two late." He remarked. I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

I stand up but immediately sink back to the bed as sudden nausea courses through me. I swallow.

"Hey," Zac said, his voice somewhat lower than before. "You alright?"

"Fine," I respond and adjust myself, blinking a few times before attempting to stand up again. "I think I'm just a little dehydrated."

"I'll have the servants bring up some water-"

"I can wait until dinner. Let's go greet everyone."