32. Bright

I wake up slowly. My eyes droop for a while and can't seem to focus on anything in particular. Neither can my mind.

When I finally come to I feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. It is the afternoon, judging by the brightness. I squint and raise my left arm lethargically to block the light from my eyes. Zac is asleep beside me, shirtless but covered from the waist down by the comforter.

I smile at him as memories of last night flood back into my mind. I run a hand through my hair and roll out of bed, dragging a sheet out with me. Wrapping it around me, I make my way to the bathroom.

In the mirror I inspect myself. My skin is cool and my feet are cold from stepping on the marble floor, but my cheeks are a bit red. My makeup is obviously a day old and slightly smudged. My hair is messy. I push it behind my shoulder and freeze.

On the side of my neck is a black, tattoo-like, mark which depicts a tree, surrounded by a swirl. I smile and gently brush my fingertips against it. It doesn't hurt now, but I can remember the pain of Zac's teeth piercing my flesh. Despite a bit of pain, the memory is delightful.

Before I even know he's up, Zac is behind me. He leans down and wraps his arm around my waist. His face buries its of in the crook of my neck and his lips brush my mark. I shiver. He chuckles.

     "I am in love with you, Olivia." He says and looks at me through the mirror. My breath catches in my throat, as it has every time he has admitted he loves me. "You know what this means?"

     I nod and gaze off thinking about all that is to come. "I can be crowned."

     "I'll tell Griffin to meet us in my office in ten minutes. Get dressed." Zac squeezes my shoulder and leaves the bathroom. My skin, with the loss of contact returns to the cold feeling.

***

"Your Highness." Griffin says' taking my hand and shaking it once, carefully. "I don't think we have been formally introduced. I'm Griffin, Zac's Beta."

He is an attractive man, probably about Zac's age, maybe a bit younger. His hair is a dirty blonde, with light brown roots. He wears a business casual outfit made up of a light button up shirt and navy blue pants and jacket. His smile was charming and his eyes were a forest green.

     His eyes, though, have a certain feeling in them, not love, not warmth, not cruelty, but indifference. Yet, his words are kind.

     Zac steps a little closer to me and puts a hand around my waist.

"No, we haven't." I respond. "And you can call me Olivia."

Griffin nods as our hands separate. "Very well."

"We invited you to talk about the coronation." Zac says, standing beside me.

"Yes, congratulations, by the way." Griffin says and takes a seat.

     I am a bit shocked, to tell the truth. It is considered disrespectful to be seat yourself before the king, unless he has told you you can. I look to Zac, prepared to deal with the storm, but he just smiles at Griffin and continued.

     "Thank you," Zac said and went to sit at his desk. I sat next to Griffin. "We want it to be as soon as possible. We're leaving all of the details up to Olivia."

     "I'll notify the council." Griffin nodded. "And prepare my address."

     "Good. That'll be all." Zac says and Griffin stands. Bowing his head briefly and exiting without another word.

     "Well that was quick," I comment through a yawn.

     "Griffin isn't one for... warmth." Zac said monotonously.

     "But he's your best friend isn't he?" I ask, leaning forward in my chair.

     He squints. "What gave you that idea?"

     "I don't know," I shrug. "Alphas and Betas, they just have this... connection. How many Alphas have you met that weren't close with their Betas?"

     "A great deal. Although, I probably have met more than you." He tells me and I laugh minimally. He continues after a few seconds of silence. "To tell the truth, we once were friends, but things changed two years ago."

     "What happened?" I ask, scooting to the edge of my seat.

     He shakes his head. "A part of him...died, and it was my fault."

     I am silent for a moment. What could he have possibly done to hurt his best friend?

     "Your fault?" I question carefully.

     "There was a raid on a rogue stronghold. We received a tip that they were holding a woman hostage. I held out on giving the attack order, I wanted my father to be around to witness my victory. By the time we got there, the leader had gotten away, and the girl was dead." He tells me, avoiding eye contact and gazing out of the window. "I sent Griffin in, to handle the tracking of the leader. But when he got there... she was the only thing he could smell..."

     "Oh my god." I breathe out, my heart throbbing for the poor boy. "The hostage. She was his mate, wasn't she?"

     Zac nods, frowning. "I held off on giving the order. I prolonged the rescue. I sent him in there and the happiest day of his life became the worst."

     We sit in silence. I watch him, his face, and his Adam's apple move as he swallows hard.