49. Getaway

I came back to consciousness shortly, but we were already far from the bunker. There was a light shining in my eye and I cringed aggressively to block it out. A hand squeezed mine tightly as I groaned.

"Liv," he said.

"How are you feeling, Your Majesty?"

I reopened my eyes and found myself in a hospital room lit only by a plethora of candles. It seemed to be night again. I didn't know how long I had been out, and that worried me, but Zac's grip of my hand kept me comforted. The doctor was familiar, she had probably looked after my father in the short time he was within the hospital's care; I couldn't tell if that comforted me. The pair stared at me impatiently.

"Not great," I hummed and closed my eyes again as I sank into the pillow behind me. "I'm still nauseous and cold."

She paused before continuing. "We'll be running several tests once the power goes back on."

I squeezed my eyes shut and reopened them trying to adapt to the lighting in the room. "The power?"

         "All of the power is out, here and in the village," Zac said as he rubbed my palms. "The backup generators were destroyed, except for one in storage that they are fixing up now. Everything will be alright."

         "Yes, you are doing well," the doctor said, smiling. "Blackouts and chills are concerning, I admit, but you're not running a fever or sweating anymore so it may be a cold or spout with the flu combined with stress."

I nodded, "where's my mom?"

"With everyone else, she's fine. Thank you, Doctor Martiz."

Dr. Martiz, as Zac said, bowed her head and excused herself from the room.

"Liv, we need to talk about something," he told me and my breath hitched in my throat.

"Oh god, what now?"

"Well after you passed out, I was carrying you through the hallway. We got to the stairs and you started to shake like crazy. Your eyes rolled back, I thought you were having a seizure or something. I put you down and tried to wake you up, and you did."

I frowned, having no recollection of regaining consciousness before now. "I don't remember that."

"I didn't think you would," he admitted. "You just looked at me. You weren't scared or anything, just looking at me. Your face was pale and your eyes looked black. And you just asked about your sister."

"My sister?"

"Yeah," he hesitated and his eyes strayed from mine for a moment. "I didn't answer, I didn't know what to say. You had just passed out, seized, woken up, and now we're asking about your dead sister, where she is...was. Then you just went from totally calm to hysterical. You tried to scratch at my eyes and my throat, you were screaming so loud."

"Oh god," my voice cracked and I tried to sit up. I gripped his forearms for stability. "Did- did I hurt you? Are you alright?"

With tears in his eyes he shook his head and hushed me. He slowly guided me back into a comfortable position. His face meant to be reasurring, but I was not reassured. "I'm fine. You were scared and didn't know...who I was."

The fact that I remembered nothing of the events being retold was more frightening thsn the events themselves. Millions of possibilities scattered through my brain. Am I sick? Dying? Going mad? I felt my stomach and my heart drop.

I leaned back and stared at the ceiling, my hands pinching at each other. "I'm scared."

He leaned forward and said nothing, only placed a soft kiss on my temple. I looked at him, growing fonder of his affection each day, grateful that he was here.