15. Wrists and Other Useless Things

Two weeks go by quickly. Zac is usually pretty busy with pack stuff so I am left alone for hours at a time with nothing to do.

This morning I wake up later than usual, shower, put on a mint green dress, and go down to the kitchens on the lowest level of the palace. Unlike the day when Zac and I made waffles, the kitchens are overflowing with servants, and chefs, all of them rushing about carrying stacks of plates and such, or at their stations cooking.

Nobody recognizes me when I enter. I make my way to the fridge and I am about to bask in the glory of all the food within the vast space when a girl taps my shoulder. My stomach growls and I sigh internally, turning to the beautiful young girl with dark brown skin.

"Good morning Your Highness." She beams. She looks to be around 14, her hair is in two pig tails tied with pink hair ties. She wears a beautiful pink dress. I smile at her.

"Good morning." I respond politely, but in a whispered tone. "Can I help you?"

"That's what I was going to ask you!" She laughs loudly, holding her hands behind her back. "There is no need to fix yourself breakfast, the cooks will make you something. Why don't you follow me to the dining table? We can get you settled and I can get your order to the chefs!"

I really don't feel like it, but I don't want to be rude, so I follow the girl up some stairs back to the first level of the palace and through the servants entrance to the royal dining room. It is immaculate. The main table located in the center of the room must be able to hold at least 100 people and it doesn't even fill the entire room. The walls are covered in painted portraits and photographs of royal families and historical people. I sit at the end of the table and the girl stands beside me with her fingers intertwined.

     "What can I get you, Your Highness?" She asks, giddy.

     "I just want a bowl of cereal." I laugh, feeling silly for letting her treat me like- well, royalty.

     "Of course!" She smiles even wider if possible and calls out. "Butler!"

***

When I get my cereal I expect the girl to leave me but she doesn't, she just watches me eat. Creepy, I know. She seems like she means well though, so I don't say anything.

When I finish I stand from the table and she rushes to take my bowl away from me. I let her.

Once again, I expect that to be it and to not see her again but she follows me from the dining hall.

I sigh and stop walking when she steps on my heel for the eighth time, turning around to face her. "I'm sorry, what is your name?"

"Oh," She looks to her right. "I'm... Kayla."

"Is that your real name?" I ask, slightly amused.

"Yes!" She insists and I sigh again.

"Alright Kayla," I nod. "I don't want to be rude, but why are you following me?"

"I'm not following you."

"You're following me."

"No."

I raise an eyebrow and give her a questioning look. She seems to give in because her happy smile turns to an anxious one. "Um, well, I was wondering what you would think of me.. being your handmaid?"