Part 34 | Hi, Old Friend

LISA

A new day to begin with again. I can't believe I'm living here in Takayama for 2 years already. I made a lot of friends. Some are of the same age as mine but mostly the older ones.

I have to deliver 15kg of flour and 5kg of corn ten blocks away from the store today.

I carried the flour on my left shoulder and just held the corn on my right hand.

I really need to work more so I can buy myself a bicycle so I can use for deliveries. I have enough to buy one but I think a little more push. I don't want to buy something then I don't have left money for food the next day.

I was approaching the wet market when I noticed a commotion across. Someone is beaten up by the market guys. I know some of the market guys so I approached them and tried to stop.

"Stop. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I won't do it again." The voice sounds familiar. I think I know the guy being punched and kicked. But it's weird because if I know him, maybe he's an old friend so why can he speak Japanese?

"Hey, Kobe, Yuri, stop. Stop." The market guys were surprised when they saw me.

"This guy is so arrogant!" Kobe said.

I dropped the sack first together with the plastic of corns.

My eyes were in shock when I realize who's the guy being punched.

"Kai?" My voice in surprise.

"Lisa!" he's surprised too.

"Let me handle this. Don't hurt him. I apologize for what he did." The market guys nodded to me and went away.

"Lisa, thank you! You're always my savior." He said and I helped him get up from the ground. I didn't say a word.

I took the sack of flour and plastic with corn and went away.

Someone's shouting from behind. It's him. Kai follows me wherever I go.

"Hey. Let me help you with that." He said.

"No, I can do it. You can't even defend yourself. How can you carry this sack?" I said.

"No. Please. Let me help you." He insisted. I transferred the sack on his shoulder and I saw how his forehead curled due to the heavy sack on his shoulder.

I carried the plastic of corn.

We arrived at my destination, delivered the products and took the payment.

"Come with me. I will introduce you to someone." He said.

I didn't mind following him. Maybe it's about time for us to talk.

Kai's house is 45mins away from the market. We didn't mind walking until we reached his place. He lives in a small village.

"Come inside. Babe, Lisa is here." He invited me inside and called his wife.

"Lis! Oh my god. How are you?" It's Hannah. Kai's wife. She's holding a baby. Probably 2 or 3 years old. I almost forgot that Hannah is Japanese.

"Hannah. Nice to meet you again." We hugged.

"Lis, this is James, our son." Kai introduced their son to me. Cute little guy. He really looks like Kai. But he got her eyes from Hannah.

"Lis, What happened? I mean, we saw it all over the news. And Sana has already admitted that it was all a misunderstanding and she planned everything." Hannah said.

I was surprised. I haven't watched a television nor read some news for two years already to not hurt myself and so I can avoid the news about me.

"Life." That's what just I gave them as an answer.

"Let's go outside." Kai said. We went outside their house and sat under their mango tree.

"I am sorry. I am really sorry." He said as tears fall from his eyes. I didn't say a word.

"Hannah had cancer that time and she was preganant. She's fighting between life and death and the baby..our baby, in a snap, we could have lose him too. I was too desperate. I don't know how to tell you that I needed money. I know it was wrong, Lisa. Especially, you're my best friend. I shouldn't have done that to you. I'm really sorry. I didn't have a face to show you from that day you punched me. I was even surprised you did not push the case through. You even bailed me out from jail. I am sorry, Lisa. I hope you can still forgive me. I know it takes time, but I can wait." He explained. I kept quiet for a while.

I just hugged him and tapped his back.

"You should have just told me and I will help you with your wife's medication. I could even raise your salary. But..forget it. It's all in the past now. What's important is, Hannah and James are now fine. Look, you have a family." I said and it made him cry more.

"How about you? Why are you still here? You know, when Hannah and I heard about the news and saw the video, I didn't believe them.  Everytime I hear people gossiping about it, I would interrupt and defend you." He said. I was touched.

"Yeah. Thank you, Kai." I said.

"Why are you still here? What do you do?" He asked.

"Well, as you have seen, Jennie filed a divorce. Then I was cursed by the world, Kai. I didn't have the face too to show to people. Also, I couldn't take people talking behind Jennie's back about me. Especially my twins. I don't want them growing up with people's words of accusations about me. So there, I left." I said.

"Lisa, you name is clear now. Sana has spoken." Kai said with encouragement.

"Really? Wow. After two fucking years." I smirked.

"You should go back. You don't deserve this life. I witnessed how you worked so hard to have all that. You deserve to be happy, Lisa." Kai said with tears.

"I am happy where I am now. I am happy with this simple life. Away from those who turned their back on me. Delivering goods, cleaning motels, scratching rust from metals, cleaning fish in the market, selling soba and hotcakes...I'm happy. I'm contented. " I said and smiled to him.

He bowed and shook his head while wiping his tears.

"Okay. Whenever you need something, just let me know. If you need a home, our tiny house is open for you anytime. Okay?" Kai said. I nodded.

I told him I need to leave already since I still have a job waiting at the port to scrub some metals. We hugged so tight. I missed my best friend. I am happy that he and his family is doing well now.

I finished my work at the scrap shop and prepared myself to go back home.

When I passed by a small plaza where some tourists stop by and take a pictures of the place, I saw a lady running after a kid.

"Hey! Stop! Stop! Give me back my phone!" She's screaming.

I saw the kid who snatched her phone approaching me and didn't noticed he bumped on my chest.  When he fell, I grabbed his wrist and took the phone from his hand.

"Don't ever do that gain. You understand?" I told him.

"Oh my god. My phone." I heard the lady in front of us.

"Promise me you won't do it again and I'll let you go." I said again to the boy. He nodded and I let him go.

"Here." I came near the lady and gave her phone and started walking home.

"Hey. Wait! Wait!" She called me. I stopped and turned to her.

"Hmm?" I was shocked when she raised her phone. I hope she didn't take a photo of me.

"Thank you. By the way, I'm Somi." She said.

"You're welcome, Somi. Take care.". I said and smiled and walked away.