Part 32 | Seeing Bright

LISA

My new life here in Takayama is far from what I had in New York. From expensive soft sheets and Queen-sized bed to newspaper sheets and cold cement ground.
From three times a day meal prepared by my wife to once a day meal, twice if lucky enough.

There was a time when I had no money left. I had no delivery that day and I forgot to get my salary for four days. I had nothing. Nowhere to run to. Haven't taken a bath because I had no enough yen to pay for a bath at the gasoline station.

The homeless family I am with on the cold corner came from their hunt. They usually hunt for food. When I have some, I share or buy food for them. They opened some plastic bags. The father in the family noticed that I am too weak to move and just lying down on the ground. She motioned her wife to give some food to me. At first I hesitated to accept it because their children might get a small portion if I still accept it. But the mother insisted. I am so happy and thankful. I know those are leftovers from the restaurants, but who am I to complain? I ate with them.

After two more weeks, I realized that it's already been a month I am away from Jennie and our children. And it's been a month also that most nights, I took my twins' picture from my bag and stare at them. I was also surprised when I arranged my things and checked on my passport. It's good to see the stamps of those places I had been too. A photo of Jennie and I in Italy fell from my passport sleeves pocket. Her photo and the twins' they're just my only remebrance from them, and of course, my wedding ring.

I finally got a three times a week part time job at the motel as a cleaner. I only work in the morning and the universe is so good because my cleaning schedule fell where in  I don't have deliveries for the days. I am so happy when the receptionist I talked to last time remembered me when we bumped to each other while I was carrying a sack of corn for delivery.

Time goes by and I also started to learn Japanese. I slowly gained friends but most of them are older people in the market who sell fish and vegetables and other goods. Sometimes they would ask me to do some errands and pay me.

I was so hungry. I haven't eaten yet because this morning, I cleaned at the motel and had some errands to do in Mr. Yui's small fish business in the market. I was the one who clean the fish for delivery at a restaurant. It really helped me to save more.
I decided to go to the hotcakes and ramen shop on the creek. I was welcomed by the old couple with a happy face. They already know my order and didn't have to ask me. When I stood up to get a glass of water, the world suddenly turned black.

I opened my eyes and noticed I am in a small dusty dark room with spiders web and old wood smell. Jennie and I's bathroom are even bigger than this room. Maybe, 4 times bigger.
It's my first time to lay my back on a decent cloth after a month and 2 weeks being here in Takayama. But what happened? Where am I? I suddenly heared a familiar voice of two old people. I realized I am at the food house on the creek. There I remembered, I passed out.

I went out of the small room and I heard the old man called his wife that I am already awake. It's night time already. The old woman hurriedly took a cup and poured a hot water on it and placed something.

"Here, take this tea. It's good for your stomach. Don't worry. It's really for an empty stomach. After you drink it, you eat. I will prepare your food." The woman offered. I told her not to worry anymore but the couple insisted.

While I was eating the old man started a conversation.
"Where do you live?" He asked.

"I sleep outside of the abandoned rice shop near the market." I said.

"You mean you sleep on the street?" He asked and I nodded.

"If you want, you can stay here. My wife and I lives with our son and her wife nearby. If you want, you can clean that room and buy some pillows and good sheets." My heart is starting to pump some blood slowly. I am controlling my tears.

"I'm afraid can't pay the rent. But if you like, I'll pay you if I got another job. Or if you like, i can help you here in the late afternoon since you open that time and I  only work in the morning outside." I said.

"Okay. By the way, I am Natsuo Hara and that's my wife Ichika. I am half German, half Japanese. That's why I learned english to somehow communicate with my family in Germany when I there visit before."
I nodded.

"I am sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I am Lisa. Lalisa Manoban." I offered a handshake and he accepted.

Finally, i found a place to stay. Mr. and Mrs. Hara are good people. I can feel it. I don't know if upon hearing my name, they knew already who I am or not. But one thing I appreciate the most is they didn't judge me.
I immediately went to where I used to sleep and told the family there that I am no longer staying and I promise to visit them from time to time. I also brought some food for the whole family.

I cleaned my room and the bathroom. Mr. Natsuo and Mrs. Ichika already went home. When I was done with cleaning, I also arranged the tables and chairs at the food house. The food house is just small and actually doesn't look like a restaurant, it's like a small house with red waxed floor. I thought of something that my help the couple to improve their food house starting with the food.

Have you forgotten you're a prominent businesswoman, Lisa? Help them through your skills.

Days have passed and I didn't notice I am already living in Takayama for almost 7 months.
If you're going to tell me if I miss Jennie? God, i almost died everynight when I think of hugging her and the kids. Thinking how they are and what they do. I hope my family takes care of them. I hope Jennie is doing well in everything she loves to do. Someday, i hope I can still see them when everything's fine, but for now, I am contented with where I am. Simpler than simple life as I call it. I have to help myself. I have to live even if the purpose and reason of living and working hard turned her back to you, Lisa, you still have to think of yourself too.

So my routine here goes like cleaning motel rooms in the morning or out for delivery of flour and corn and clean fish in the market. After lunch, i had to rub some rust on the port area. I got a job on the scrap shop boat. Mr. Natsuo recommended me to the supervisor of the scrap shop where I remove rusts from metals. Then in the late afternoon, I will be the one to open the food house. For a time now, I also cook the ramen and hotckaes whenever Mrs. Ichika is not feeling well. The couple noticed people are craving for hotcakes and ramen more when I am the one cooking it. I actually change the recipe. So yeah, we changed the taste of our food and the couple is so happy to see people coming in and out of the food house.
I also suggested to add some new food on the menu and I am glad they agreed. So now, we have not only ramen and hotcakes but as well as tempura, soba and yakitori. I think soba with fish floss on top is our best-seller now. I am so glad that I made Mr. and Mrs. Hara happy of our new recipes. We also named the food shop to "Hara".

I don't know how I do the job everyday, all I know is i do them for me to live. I used to have a hard life, so what's new. I don't care if i can't buy new clothes. I don't care if the shoes that Jennie gave me on our last christmas together is starting to rip off. I don't care if my rubber slippers are too thin already. I am happy. I am contented. And I know I will be fully fine in time.