Part 33 | The Truth

1 year later...

JENNIE

I am at home preparing for work. Since the day Lisa went away, Bam and Irene assited and guided me in running two companies. But most of the time, I let Bam handle the L' Group and I focus on L' Arts.

I made sure the kids have all their needs before I leave the house with their nanny. Mama Chit would always go here and spend the days to look after her grandchildren.

If you're going to ask me now, how i am, i would say, i don't know. I am lost. I am sad. I am a lonely person who tries to be okay for the kids.
The day I let Lisa signed the divorce papers was the day I made a stupid decision. Because, yes, I miss her everyday.

When I saw the divorce paper with her signature left on the desk inside our bedroom, I felt blank. I felt nothing. But what put me to tears is not seeing most of Lisa's clothes in our closet. She left.

We tried to figure out her whereabouts, but we failed. We can't trace her. Nothing's showing up about her.

You are so stupid and heartless, Jennie.
Where were you when she needed you the most? You're her wife. You love her. And you made a vow.
But you let your anger and selfishness ruin your marriage. You pushed her away.

There were nights that I cry on my knees thinking of Lisa. Where she is. What she does. Does she eat well? Is she okay? If I could only bring back the time, I would change how I thought of things. I should be the first one to listen to her. But no one did. We left her alone in her troubles, while Lisa, she's always there whenever we had one. She's actually the one fixing it. How can you be selfish Jennie?

L'Arts

I'm at my office with Rosé, Jisoo and Seulgi having a coffee and short meeting. Actually, Rosé and I are not in good terms but we are trying to work casually for our jobs. She started not talking to me as a bestfriend when she heard about the divorce and when she knew I believed the accusations.

"Mrs. Manoban, someone is looking for you. He is Mr. Smith. He said he is Lisa's lawyer, Ma'am. Upon checking our records, he had been here already for several times and had a meeting with Ms. Lisa." A call from the head receptionist. I have heard of this Lawyer many times and he is the most in demand in the US.

"Wait. I'll verify with Irene. Please hold on." I said to her. I called Irene and she confirmed. I also told Irene to go to my office.

"Hello. You can let him go up here." I told the receptionist.

After a few minutes, a figure of a tall american guy with neat suit entered my office. My friends and Irene are also present. I stood up and shook my hand to Lisa's lawyer and led him to the couch. I am actually nervous about this. I hope, he won't tell me something bad about Lisa.

"Good morning Ms. Kim. I am Ali Smith. I served Lisa as her Lawyer for 8 years." He bowed his head and I motioned him to sit.

"Good morning Mr. Smith. What brought you here?" I asked.

He opened his suitcase and one by one placed the papers on the table.

"I owe my life to your wife. When no one believed I could be a great Lawyer, she's the only one who did. She's my first client after my biggest downfall. She chose me without hesitations.
So, when everyone didn't believe her, who am I to curse her knowing that that woman would always choose to have a good heart." He said while opening his laptop and I noticed his eyes becoming a little watery. Lisa. You always get to surprise me.

"Here. I collected and collated everything. From the case that's supposed to be filed against Lisa up to the latest statement Sana will release soon." She handed me Lisa's statement. Upon reading it. My tears fell from my eyes. I am hearing Lisa's sincerity.

"Lisa swore to me that she will lay her cards, only the truth and nothing else but the truth. So there."
He added.

"The last time Lisa and I talked a year ago before she disappeared, I reported to her that the CCTV footage on the parking basement was already released by the owner. The security guard also told me that he found Lisa so weak and Sana was too aggressive on her even if Lisa is already fighting and pushing her away." Upon hearing Mr. Smith, my knees became weaker. I saw Rosé crying silently.

"Next, Lisa told me that she already bumped to Sana 2 years ago at L' Group and help her stand up because of falling. Lisa thought, she's her employee. But the night they unexpectedly see each other again, Lisa found out that Sana was an applicant and didn't qualify. She even told her if she wish to apply, Lisa will help her." We listened to him.

"So, as a lawyer and a good friend to my client, I got curious why she didn't qualify." We all paused for a moment.

"This Sana Minatozaki is a Japanese who's born and raised in Daegu by a single Korean mother.
She was 20 years old when she applied at L' Group. But didn't pass her exams especially the most important one. She is not mentally stable." My mouth unconsiously opened and my heart is pumping so fast.

"There was a guy who passed by the parking lot that time and saw what happened and chose to record it. He posted it just for fun. We traced him.
A group of businessmen has been asking me about Lisa's case. They wanted to help. I told them how can we help her if she's not even around. But they deserve to know what really happened so I laid everything to them. The last time I heard, the group hired someone to you know...let that guy vanish in a snap. But until now, they are still looking for her too. Especially the owner of EF Johnson and his son Hanbin. Do you know that Lisa worked for them for a long time before she started her own business right?" I nodded but still crying.

"Going back to the reason why I am here. The final stage has come, Ms. Jennie. I have been in contact with Sana's mother for almost a year now. They actually lived here for 3 years already. And I found out that Sana was diagnosed with mental illness associated with suicidal tendencies and sex addiction. She's been seeing a psychiatrist since before Lisa and her met.
Her psychiatrist heppend to be the wife of another client of mine. So there, i guess, it explains everything. Sana is trying to be in good state now and her Mom told me that she will be releasing a statement about the truth next week. Her poor mother can't sleep at night thinking what her daughter has caused to Lisa." Mr. Smith can't control himsef anymore and shed a tear.

"Haven't you guys thought of why Lisa was not arrested and until now no one from the enforcers looked for her? She was innocent. My client was actually the victim.
Thank you for your time, Mrs. Manoban. I also know you didn't push though filing the divorce because nothing has reached my office. I'm leaving now. I hope you will find her."
He can't stop himself he cried. He looked at me straight to the eyes while telling me those.

We all cried. I cried so hard and Jisoo came to me and comforted me. Rosé and Seulgi walked out of my office and I heard banging on the doors of their offices.

You were supposed to be at her side Jennie. She was terribly mistaken and all of you turned you back from her the time she needed you the most. She's your wife. You love her. What happened?