Part 30 | Fly

LISA

She did not come to our room tonight. Maybe she's now asleep at the guestroom.

I was so hurt. Broken. I can't believe they all see me as a bad person. Especially her, my wife, she believe all the accusations and never let me explain.

The world is now cursing me. I am all alone and here...a divorce paper is waiting for my signature.

It's already 3am and I can't sleep. I stood up and read the divorce paper again on my desk. As much as I don't want this, I can't take it anymore. No one's on my side. I am helpless. Once I sign this, nothing's going to be left for me. But I don't fucking care. All I care for is Jennie. But the love of my life wants to end our marriage now.

I took the pen from the drawer.

It took me a while to sign it.

The face of Jennie nodding when I asked her if she really wants this keeps appearing on my mind.

You love her Lisa. And love is not always about fighting for it. Sometimes it's setting free because you love that person so much that you don't want to see her getting hurt nor suffer.

I signed it.

"Mr. Tim, bring me somewhere else at 5am." I called my pilot.

I took some clothes and place it on a small luggage and some on my backpack.

I only have 300 dollars in cash in my wallet. Maybe I'll just withdraw some once I reach my destination. I placed the twins' photo on my backpack.

Before leaving the room, I stared on a picture of Jennie and I during our wedding hanged in our wall. My tears fell. I cried so hard. I wanted to see her for the last time, but I'm afraid I might hold back. This is for her. This is what she wants. I love her, so who am I to force here to stay with me if she doesn't want this marriage anymore.

I drove myself to the airport, gave the key to the valet and instructed them that Jennie might get the car anytime. I withdraw from the atm already and put the cash on my backpack. I also bought a Japanese language booklet from the airport.

I entered my plane.

"Hi Ms. Manoban. So early for a flight huh? Where are we heading to so I can check the air traffic, Ma'am." Mr. Tim greeted me.

"Hello. Japan." I said.

"Okay. Let me check. Japan. Okay. Sky's clear!" He said.

"Mr. Tim, I have to ask you a favor. I hope I can trust you on this." I said.

"Anything. You know I owe you my life. So anything, Ms. Manoban." He said.

"No one will ever know this. Can you also coordinate with the airport just in case trackers would ask for it?" I told him. He was quiet at first and looks confused.

"Please." I looked at him in the eyes and I told him everything and he agreed. He even gave me a hug. He's the first person who gave me a hug after all the accusations and he even said he doesn't believe those.

I haven't slept on the flight because I couldn't. I was in so much pain. I just cried and I don't know what's going to happen with my life from now on. I have to go away for Jennie, for my family. I don't want them to suffer all the hatred from the people because of me, because of the accusations. So might as well, move away before that happens. Especially for the twins, I don't want them to grow up hearing that they're a bad person's children. As much as I want to be with them, I'd rather suffer alone than having them suffer with me. Because I love them.

I love Jennie.

JAPAN

I chose it here because this is the only place that gave me an honorary citizenship because of my charity works and business achievements that benefit them. I also know, people here don't care of who you are or what you do. I am just afraid that if ever I looked for a job, no one's going to hire me because of the accusations. I hope, Mr. Smith would continue to prove that I am not guilty. For my family's peace of mind.

When I arrived at Nagoya it was already late in the evening. I have my money changed to yen and bring it back to my bag. I took a cab and don't know where to go actually. I just kept instructing the driver to make turns. Until I felt hungry and decided to get off on a busy street.

I went to a cheap restaurant beside the road. I need to save my money because no guarantee that I can find a job immediately. For sure, once Jennie filed the divorce papers, I can no longer use my cards. As much as possible, I don't want to use my cards now here in Japan because they will sure track where I am. Good thing I already withdraw from the airport. I ordered for ramen and asked for a glass of water. I placed my luggage beside me and my backpack on my lap. When I was almost done eating, I heard someone grabbing my luggage and saw him took my phone also. He ran away so fast. I checked my wallet on my back pocket and it was snatched too. What a destiny!

I was about to run after him but another man pointed a knife on my waist. I don't know what he's asking for. When he pointed at my Patek Philippe watch, I understood. I took it off and he ran away. I was helpless again. I didn't have the energy to fight anymore. I was emotionally and mentally drained already. I was alone eating at the restaurant so no one could help me. The owner of the noodle shop came out and I told him what happened. Luckily, he knows how to speak English. He offered to accompany me to the police, but I declined.

I was still thankful that they didn't get my bag and my wedding ring.

Few hours have passed, I am still walking on the streets. I don't know where to go. It's already 11pm here. I sat on a waiting shed and there are buses coming through. I can't read Japanese characters so I don't know where it's heading to. I grabbed the Japanese booklet I bought from the airport and started learning a few. I didn't notice it's already 5am.

I checked the watch on the bus stop and I saw a bus approaching. Gifu.

I rode the bus going to Gifu. I don't know how long it will take to get there.

I hugged my bag inside the bus and decided to sleep on the ride.

I was woken up by the bus staff and looks like we already arrived. Here I am again, I don't know where I am going.

I grabbed some coffee and bread from the bus station and looked around. Maybe I can get a sign where should I go next. I ended up staring at the bus line section going to provincial places. I chose the bus where only few people are falling in line. Takayama. Ok. That's where I am heading to.

After two hours, the bus has arrived at Takayama. I took a deep breath.

"You don't know where you're going right now, but you'll be on your way, Lisa." I told myself.