Part 31 | Takayama

LISA

I had nowhere to go. I just kept walking and observing the surroundings. This place is very traditional and it's far from what Tokyo and Osaka can offer. But the place feels so peaceful and genuine. Old fashioned and classic.

I can smell hotcakes and ramen.
I followed the aroma of those food until i reached a small dining place in front of a creek. Only 2 - 3 people are dining in.

The food house is just half the size of Jennie and I's bedroom. There's a bar like table outside with an average size glass cabinet for food. Ramen and hotcakes are displayed inside of the said cabinet. There's an old and small 90's television hanging in the corner with poor signal. The place is painted green and looks very old.

I order a bowl and 2 pieces of japanese hotcakes.
A man and woman on their 60's are collecting orders, cooking and serving the food. I guess they own the place.
When my order arrived, the old man talked to me but I didn't understand. I took my booklet and tried to find what he's saying. When he noticed i'm having a hard time, he suddenly spoke in english.

"Are you a tourist?" He asked

"Uhm. No." I answered. He just nodded

I ate the ramen and hotcakes. I stood up to get some water on the table inside.
I then paid for the food.

"Are you American?" The old woman asked.

"No. I am Thai. But i grew up in South Korea and stayed for 8 years in New York." I answered and smiled at them.

I left the place and wandered around.

My first goal is to look for a place to stay. It's so hard to look for one since I cannot speak Japanese yet. But I still tried by learning from the booklet. I tried to ask people around if they know a place.
One man has entertained me but he said it's occupied already.

It's nearly evening and I haven't found a place to stay yet. There's a cheap motel room nearby but it would cost me half of my money left. I had no choice. I decided to book a room for just 24 hours so i can look for a job tomorrow.

I took a bath and washed my clothes.
I laid my back on bed started reading the basics of japanese language.
After 2 hours of learning some, i put down the book.
I stared at the ceiling blankly and tears started to fall from my eyes. I still can't believe I'm heartbroken and divorced. I didn't notice i have fallen asleep already.

First thing in the morning I went to the market center and looked around. The place is really very traditional and laid back and it seems this is their business center already. Life here is simple. Businesses circulates from flour, corn, rice, fruits, vegetables, papers, chicken, fish, farming chemicals and scraps.

I found a signage looking for delivery helper from a small store. I immediately went to the store where they sell flour and corn. I didn't hesitate because so far, this is the only signage i saw in english. So, i assumed, there's someone i can speak to. A man came ount from a mini door of the store.

"Hi. Good morning. I am Lisa. I would like to ask if you still need a helper?" I asked and pointed at the signage. The man just looked at me for a while straight to my eyes.
I heard another voice from inside the store.
"Hi. Sorry. My father couldn't speak english but he can understand a bit. Yes, we are still looking for one but we prefer a man." She said.

"Maybe I can do it. Just try me for a few days then if you like my work, that's the time you pay me. By the way, my name is Lisa." I offered my hand. I am so desperate to get a job already.
I think she is the daughter of the owner.
"I'm Akari." She introduce herself. After a few talk, she agreed to my deal and i am starting tomorrow.

I went to the same food place where I ate last night.
The old couple already recognized me. I had same orders. Food here is very cheap and tasty. Their ramen is way better than what La Amoré serves.

After eating, i went to another location to look for another job. Didn't find any luck and it's getting dark already. Fuck. If i am going to spend another night at the motel, my money wouldn't be enough already for food in the next 2 days.

I took my stuff from the motel.
When I checked out, i heard one of the receptionist speaks in english so i asked if there's a vacant job in the motel. He said none yet at the moment.

I kept walking, still dont know where to go. Until i found a corner where some of homeless people are settling. I watched them for a while and waited for the right timing to ask if i can occupy the small area.
After a few minutes, i approched them. They're a family with young kids. I opened my booklet and thank god after the long processing, i got to speak to them in japanese asking if i can sleep on the side. The mother nodded and even gave me a piece of newspaper page so i can lie down on the cement ground. I positioned myself and placed my bag under my head and serves as pillow.

I spent the night sleeping outdoor.

In the morning, i went to a small gasoline station and took a bath there. I rushed to work. At first i had a hard time delivering the flour because of the address. But i just kept asking people around.
I carried 7kg of flour in my shoulder. Good thing i was on time on the destination.

It's been my routine for 7 days already.
Sleeping outdoor with an old newspaper as my sheets.
It goes on until I realized I'm on my 2nd week here in Takayama already.