Courage

Courage, the simple word might seem like most intimidating one. If you ask someone what courage is, they will say that it means absence of fear or being bold or ability to face any situation but if you ask me what is courage, I have an entirely different version.

Few days back if you had asked me what courage is, it would have been a different answer. I would have said standing in front of the bullet even though you know that It will take your life but right now I see a very different version. Courage is what I am seeing in the person who was standing in front of me. Courage is having the ability to let go of a baby to save someone else whom you can save. Courage such a silly word yet it holds lot of meaning to it.

"You can leave me here and go P. I will join one of the ambulances to go to hospital. You don't have to stay here" Beam said to me.

I was not able to say anything other than staring at the person who was standing in front of me.

"P are you alright?" Beam asked me slightly shaking my hand.

"I will be" I said to him and gave him a slight smile.

"you where brave today P" he said to me and squeezed m hand slightly.

"I am alright nong you don't have to worry about me" I said to him. The great think about being a gangster is that we are trained to mask our feeling but right now I am shaking inside. My inside is getting shattered into pieces.

"It is the duty of doctor to worry P. Will it be ok for you come with me" Beam asked me. I do not know what he was up to but when I hear these words now my heart is doing summersaults.

"I will come" I said to him and we both had a quite drive to hospital.

"Wait for me I will be there in few minutes Forth" he said and ran inside. I don't know what am I doing in my life after the doctor came into my life. I was just sitting simply and staring at the dark carpet that was above my head thinking that will give me a little peace of mind.

"P can you stay with me in my dorm tonight?" Beam asked me. I don't understand what was eall happening but gave him a small nod.

He walked with me to his dorm.

"Seriously I am alright Nong" I said to him. I can get that he was worried but what is the reason for him to worry about me.

"I am not P, I just need someone with me now" he said to me and held my hand. I decided to go with the flow not thinking anything. The remaining walk was very silent.

When we reached him room. He asked me to take a bath and when I came out there was food. I was debating whether to go and eat or to run away.

"I didn't cook P. wipe that scary look" he said to me and walked past me to bathroom.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked him.

"you have that look p, the look that my brother has when I cook for him" he said to me and went to take bath.

We both had silent dinner. To be exact I was not in mood to eat but beam made sure that we both had something in the stomach.

"Lets sleep p" he said to me.

"I will take the sofa nong" I said to him.

"the bed is big enough. You can seep on the bed beside me P. The couch is so little for you. If you are uncomfortable to sleep beside me, I will take the couch and you can take the bed" he said to me getting up from the bed.

"No, no need I will sleep on the bed beside you" I said to him and occupied the space next to him.

"Sleep P, you will feel better in the morning. I was not able to sleep after I screwed my first operation. I know how you feel now. Don't feel guilty P. The baby is better dead than growing up orphan and facing the harsh reality of the world. I know what I say may look harsh, but it is the truth. You know it better than me. Just let it go we cannot decide whom we save but giving our full to save the person is everything we can do" he said to me and in few seconds all I can hear was the soft snore of the person who was sleeping next to me with his warm body pressed against mine and his warm breath on my cheeks.

I just laid down and waited for the exhaustion of the day to take me to sleep.