Growing Up

Eli and I's relationship blossomed beautifully over the following months. As winter turned into spring and spring turned into summer our relationship went from two kids dating to us becoming serious. But as things for us started to change so did the environment around us.

When Andrea celebrated her birthday in the beginning of June she discovered that William was her mate and with three couples in the friends group, Chloe and Phoebe began to grow distant. It was no one's fault really. We were all just getting older, starting a new chapter and Chloe and Phoebe hadn't reached that point yet.

The second week of summer Derek had made the decision to give up his position as pack leader and pass it down to Eli. Derek and Justin wanted to co-lead and Derek having to manage two packs would be too much so Eli agreed to be the next pack Alpha. But as Eli prepared to inherit the pack I was sucked into the role of the future Luna, again.

Once I told my parents about Eli they demanded that they meet his parents. At first my mother was hesitant but she quickly warmed up to the idea. My dad however refused to accept it until he was assured that Eli's family was "worthy of his baby girl". The night our families met could possibly be the most embarrassing dinner of my life. Eli's family tried their hardest to be presentable only for Dad to give them a hard time. He was picky about the food, pestered Eli's Dad and had a horrible attitude. And though my dad was on his worst behavior Eli's parents only found it amusing.

One good thing did come out of the dinner and it was unexpected bond formed between our mothers. The rest of my summer day's were spent trailing behind Eli's mom as she introduced me to all the different jobs that came with being a Luna. The same way I had to prepare for being Luna, Eli would have to prepare for being Head Alpha. On the days we had off Eli would do his best to plan special dates whether we spent the day doing an activity or went on a weekend trip.

This time Eli hauled our belongings into the back of the truck and said he had booked a place for the weekend.

"Mmm. Good morning."  A strong pair of arms wrapped around my waist pulling me into their chest. The sun beamed onto our bodies through the glass panel windows that led out to a balcony that had a clear view of the beach. We had arrived late the night before and after driving for about three hours we were both eager to get some sleep.

Eli pressed his lips into the side of my neck and then left a trail of kisses down my back. His hand traveled from my hip to play with my bra strap. My heart started to pound so loudly that I was sure that Eli could hear it.

Laughing he threw a leg over mine, "Are you okay? Your heart sounds like it was going to explode."

I grunted in annoyance. Every time I involuntarily responded to Eli's romantic advances he felt the need to point it out. And although it irritated me beyond belief I wouldn't have it any other way.

"No response?" He chuckled. "You're not going to answer your Alpha?"

I dramatically gagged at his comment. "My Alpha? Please don't even go there." I turned over in his arms to face him, pecking him on the lips. "Your my mate. That's it."

Eli hummed contently. "Fine by me. But...don't you think we should make it more official?"

"What do you mean? I'm sure everyone knows we are mates Eli."

He wrapped a curl around his finger and then tucked it behind my ear. "No I mean mating bond official."

I stopped breathing for a minute. It wasn't that I didn't want to have sex with Eli I just wasn't sure if I was ready. With completing the mating bond followed so many other things. People start to expect certain things like a wedding or an heir. My time in high school was running out but I still wanted to be a teenager while I could.

"Or is it that you don't want to?" He did his best to hide the disappointment in his voice but I still caught on.

His hand was no longer fiddling with my hair and his were sad. "It's not that I don't want to complete the mating bond but why do we have to do it now? We still have time until you become the Head Alpha. Why don't we enjoy it?"

A low growl rumbled in his chest. "So you're saying that we won't be able to enjoy ourselves after we complete the mating bond? Brianna you know I hate when you just don't tell me the truth."

Eli turned away from me grabbing the jeans off the floor beside him. "Where are you going?..." I asked softly.

"To shower," He grumbled. "And then maybe I'll go take a walk. Alone."

Without another word he entered the bathroom and shut the door. As I heard the shower turn on I started to question if I was in the wrong again? I wasn't lying, we did have more than enough time to complete the mating bond. I just wanted us to live out our teen years before we had to grow up and take on so many different responsibilities.

My chest started to hurt the more I thought about it. It seemed like no matter what I always messed up with Eli. Was I even fit for this? To be the Luna, a mate or even...maybe...a future mother. And Eli. I understood the desire to mate but why did he have to react that way? Why did he have to act like I was taking something away from him?

A few stray tears made there way down my cheeks that I quickly wiped when I heard Eli step back into the bedroom. As I attempted to erase the evidence that I was crying Eli stood in only a towel, staring at me. 

I jumped off the bed and made a bee-line for the bathroom just to be held back by my arm.

"Wait." Eli took a deep breath and squeezed his eyes shut as if he was deep in thought. "I-I'm sorry. I never wanted to make you cry..."

I returned to my spot on the bed as he kneeled in front of me, wiping stray tears off my face. "Don't get upset baby okay. I just...every time I feel like we are going strong we always reach an obstacle. I want to take the next step but he's always holding you back. Everything he has done to you-"

"Whoa," I interrupted. "Him? This has nothing to do with Justin and everything to do with you, and me, and our families. I have spent weeks preparing for the Luna position that I was thrown into. This is all happening so fast and I barely get to see you during the week. I just want us to savor the time we have together. Once our families find out about our bonding then next it's marriage and a baby and I'm not ready. Just not yet."

"That...that was why?" Relieved he ran a hand through his hair. "God I'm so sorry. O-okay why don't we compromise. When you're ready and I mean when you're ready I'll make it special okay? And then after, we won't let anyone know."

I nodded as he reached for my face pulling me into a passionate kiss. I paused, "Okay then...I'm ready."