Introductions

"AND WHO ARE YOU?" The sound of plastic bags hitting the floor pulled me out of my daze. Before, nothing would have made me focus on anything but Eli. His scent had created a haze that enveloped us that felt like a warm hug. Homey, somewhere I belong. But two other familiar scents broke our little bubble. My mom and dad.

I pushed against Eli's chest trying to break away from being trapped against the counter but he wouldn't budge.

"Eli," I whined. "You have to let go."

His voice rumbled, gripping the marble counter so hard I swear it could break.

"My parents Eli, they're my parents." I said soothingly, rubbing my hand across his chest.

His arms dropped to their sides and his heavy breathing steadied.

"Get your hands off of her!" My father wedged himself in between us, ending any contact we had.

"Dad stop! He's my..." I gulped, nervously looking at Eli for help. He shrugged his shoulders indicating he had no idea of how he could help the situation.

"He's your what?" Mom walked towards us with the groceries back in her hands.

They both stared at me, expecting me to explain who Eli was.

"My mate..." My voice should have been barely audible to the human ear but of course all three of them heard me.

My dad looked at Eli and then looked at me, "No."

It hurt me heart and felt like a punch in the gut at the same time. It was hard for me to comprehend that my father didn't want to accept my mate.

"W-wait sir I understand how you feel but-" Eli decided to step in only to be shut down by Dad.

"I SAID NO! I can't." My dad stomped his foot resembling a child throwing a tantrum. "I can't risk Brianna getting hurt again. I said no."

It wasn't like my father's behavior didn't make sense. To find out your own daughter was used by your pack Alpha's son and for him to have no repercussions put my dad in a tough position. He was angry for weeks after finding out what Justin had done and yet he was in no place to bring this up to the council. He was going to give Eli hell.

"Honey please, calm down," Mom caressed his shoulders. "We knew this would happen someday."

"Ugh," Dad grunted. "Isn't there some type of test we can do. How do we know he isn't lying just like that kid. I don't trust him."

Eli's mood visibly darkened, offended that he would even be compared to Justin. "Sir if you could let me explain-"

"Quiet!" If looks could kill Eli would be six feet under. "Why is this our first meeting this young man Brianna?"

My dad's scent was filling up the room, almost suffocating me. He has never gotten this angry around me and it scared me.

Eli rushed to my side only to halt in his place due to a growl that would shake walls. Eli's breathing picked up again, his chest rising and falling at a rapid pace. It was too much. Two Alphas butting heads produced an ungodly amount of pheromones. So much that I felt as if my head was going to explode and I would burst into tears.

My condition went unnoticed as my mother tried to dial down the situation in front of her. I slid down onto the cold, tile floor, clutching my neck in desperation for air. I knew what it was. I knew why I was reacting this why, how I was so gullible a couple of months ago.

I hadn't reached full maturity but I have noticed the signs for almost a year know. Eli and Justin were lucky, children of pack leaders always knew their ranking earlier than the rest. Me? I would have to wait for confirmation until I was eighteen yet I still knew.

It was rare. Most of the time when an Alpha and a Beta had children they would be Betas. Maybe they would have Alphas. But me? I was none of the above.

"Brianna? Brianna! Oh my god!" I couldn't tell who the voice belonged to due to a now insufferable headache.

"Hey! Brianna are you okay?" Solid hands shook my shoulders, my head bobbling due to the force only making the pain in my head worse.

Soon the air started to clear and the mood switched from fury to concern. I gasped for air while violently coughing, later comforted by Eli's scent. I will never get enough of his fresh laundry smell. It was making it harder and harder for me to stay away from him.

"Bri sweetie? Oh I'm so sorry I never meant to scare you." With my eyes clear of tears I was able to my dad's hand reaching towards. Eli snapped his jaw towards the incoming hand, snarling at my father.

Mom pulled him back, "Look. Look at them. It's true. You have to let them be."

My dad's head now hung in shame, completely guilt ridden. It only made me feel worse. Why did I have to react this way? Why did they have to meet Eli this way? I wanted things to be different. I wanted things to go my way for once but of course, that would never happen.

My parents left the kitchen after sparing one last regretful look at Eli and I. We sat on the floor with my legs around his waist and his arms around mine. My nose was tucked into the side of his neck as it proved to be effective in calming me down.

"Bri?" He mumbled into my hair.

I knew what was coming. Who else would have this big of a breakdown over two Alphas fighting? "Yes?"

"Um...," Eli pulled away from my body to look me in the eye. His thumb swiftly wiped a stranded tear off my cheek. "W-why did you...? Do you know that-"

"Stop. We don't know that for sure. I'm not old enough. It was probably all the stress of today."

Unconvinced he continued, "Yeah but it was pretty obvious. I mean, it isn't a bad thing-"

"No please. Just don't Eli."

Eli sighed heavily. We would definitely be talking about this later, something I wouldn't be looking forward to. I would have to acknowledge it sooner or later but I would rather leave it for now. I didn't want to accept that I wasn't who people thought I would be, who I wanted to be.

I didn't want to accept that everything that happened with Justin could have been avoidable if I wasn't like this. If it wasn't in my nature to want,no need to be loved. To be cared for. It made me feel as if I was incapable of controlling how I felt and what I did. I didn't want Eli to see me that way.

"Alright," Eli firmly kissed my forehead, allowing me to tuck myself into his neck again. "I won't bring it up again. Not into you're ready."

The thing was. I don't think I was ever going to be ready.