combferre; is she really just a friend?

Combferre's POV:
The meeting has just ended and my friends and I lingered around the café to relax and converse. I sat a long table with Enjolras, Marius and Courfeyrac. I waited for y/n to finish her shift and watched the door, not so subtly. To my benefit, the door flung open and there stood my best friend y/n l/n. She waved to everybody and high fived Grantaire and Gavroche before sitting in the chair beside me. I put my arm around her and pulled her into my side.

"Hey you." I whisper into her hair. "Hello 'Ferre." She says into my chest. She lifts her head and greets the others at the table. They all nod and smile at her. She leans her back into her chair and starts to play with my fingers on the arm that was around her.

Everyone at the table starts talking about anything and everything, not including the revolution- which was much to Enjolras' dismay.

"No! It's spelt c-e-n-t-e-r! Not c-e-n-t-r-e!" Y/n and Enjolras were arguing about the correct spelling of the word "center" or "centre," I don't know and honestly didn't care.

"Enjolras! The way that you spell it is how it is spelt in United Kindgom! The way I spell it is the American way of spelling it! This looks bad for you because you're the university student." He rolls his eyes. He is about to start the argument up again until I put an end to this ridiculous banter.

"Enough you two. Who cares?" They look at each other and shrug, completely forgetting about what they were just arguing about.

"Hey y/n?" She hums in response. "You should start getting home, it's fairly dark outside." She turns her head to the window to see the stars in the dark sky. She frowns and sighs.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" "Madame is taking me home tonight because I promised her a stroll of walking and talking the other night." She leans into my side and hides in my chest.

"I don't want to go." She groans and trails on the last word and whines. I chuckle and hug her.

"I don't want you to go either, but I'll see you tomorrow." She looks up at my face and grins.

"Alright! See you guys tomorrow." She waves goodbye to me and everyone at the table and gets up to leave.

"Wow, wow, wow wait." I grab her hand and pull her into my lap. "I want a proper goodbye." She chuckles and wraps her arms around my neck, enveloping me in a hug.

"Stay safe." I whisper to her. "You too." She releases the hug and I kiss her cheek.

"Au revoir y/n." I say gazing into her eyes.

"Au revoir Combferre." She smiles at me. We stay in the position of her on my lap, hands wrapped around my neck and mine around her hips, her smiling down at me and me smiling up at her for what feels like forever.

She starts to remove herself from my grasp and whispers one last goodbye until tomorrow. I wave and watch her until I can't anymore. As soon as the door to the meeting room closes and she is out of my view I hear

"Oh my god!" "Are you kidding me?" "What on earth?" I hear the people at my table say. I look at them with confusion but still a slight smile on my face.

"What?" They all look at each other and then back at me.

"You're telling me that you and y/n aren't courting?" Courfeyrac asks.

"What? No, of course not." I feel my cheeks heat up. "Why would you think that?"

Enjolras laughs and looks at me, dead in the eyes. "I don't care nor know a lot about love, but I can tell that you two are in it. I mean your arm was around her for, how long have we been here at this table? About two and a half hours? You two are constantly cuddling and joking with each other. And the lap thing, that was, was-"

"Obvious." Marius finishes his sentence and continues. "The way you look at each other like the other is the most amazing thing on the planet. 'Ferre it is plain as day. And man, I mean look at you, you can't stop smiling. You look like you had a hanger in the mouth throughout the night."

I hesitantly scoff and try to stop my lips from curling up, but can't. "Y/n and I... were are not courting and we never will. I guess it would make sense for you to believe that she and I are meant to be. But that's impossible! She is so out of my league, and so much smarter than I am. She is like this wonderful work of art and I... well I am the guy that got kicked out of the museum and is standing out in the rain. Y/n... I mean she's just a friend, I could never..." I ramble and look at them hopefully.

Courfeyrac stands up. "God, you're dumb. Combferre, do you hear yourself? 'She's a work of art, she is so out of my league.'" He mocks me. Did I really say that? I look down and start thinking before Courfeyrac walks towards me me.

"Is she really just a friend?" He pats my back before leaving to refill his drink.