DINNER

The doors were opened for us as we slipped in the empty restaurant, my heart drumming not believing this. We walked in, the heel of my shoes clicking seeming too loud making me wish I could take them off but of course I did not as we walked, his arm on my back as I walked acting as if I was not noticing all of this waiting for him to say something.

We walked off turning, the restaurant dimly lit, it looking like something from the movies already seeing the romantic setting. Finally we took a turn and I nearly stopped in my tracks, how embarrassing would that be.

"Seith, finally man, so rude of you to be late to my dinner." A man from the table that was filled with people said as Seith scoffed, walking around the table, taking a seat on one on the empty chairs as I followed suit next to him, my eyes snapping to everyone around the table.

Well I did not see that coming, imagine the disappointment and embarrassment, I mean I almost jumped on the guy thanking him for all this when it wasn't even his dinner. It was not even a stupid date!

I sat, a smile on my face, all eyes looking at me as if trying to figure out where they know me from. This was definitely going to be a long night.

A waiter came.

"Wine?" He asked.

"Yes please," I said, pushing the clean glass that was on my dining area.

"It was not my fault man," it was Seith sitting back seeming relaxed never having seen him like this. I looked around the table seeing three other couples. Beautiful women meant for the cover of magazines looked radiant next to the Greek god's sitting next to them. My heart was drumming, I had not even put make up on for crying out loud, feeling so inferior and so out of place wanting nothing more than to get back to my sad sessions in the house.

"Seith," One of the women said as Seith gave her the brightest smile that would have knocked me down, like who was this man right next to me? It seemed the whole group knew each other, they were friends, seeming even deeper than just friends, the whole table just buzzing with laughter as they talked, enjoying the night. They all ignored the hell out of me and it felt so weird to just come out disturbing their conversation and introducing myself so I sat back in my chair, wine glass in hand taking small sips when what I really wanted was to drain the whole thing but not wanting to seem like a drunkard.

Time passed as they shared their memories seeming as if the men were best of friends and the ladies having joined the group, now all best of friends and I was just the ant yet I listened, smiling and laughing when they did. Can you imagine the embarrassment, I felt like digging a hole and hiding. I did not even know what the hell they were talking about.

"Seith isn't this the girl that is an outlaw?" One of the men with golden brown hair and blue deep eyes with a British accent said. My eyes snapped to him, all eyes suddenly on me realisation hitting on those that had not figured it out.

"Come on Seith man, it's like you just pick them in the street without even thinking. You remember last time when he brought that girl that tried flirting with me right next to him." Another said, he was an African American with a well-built body, looking dashing with his dark shirt, neatly combed hair and body built of muscle and nothing else. The lady sitting next to him brushed his hand, seeing the large diamond ring as they all laughed yet it was not funny. It was not funny at all.

I sat there like a goose, they thought I was one of his whores. My hands shook on my lap where they sat under the table wanting to punch someone yet I could not. I did not know what to do as they moved on, talking on and on about all the woman Seith had brought, each of them having a story that left the whole table in burst of tears. I was not laughing anymore though I tried keeping my smile but it was getting harder and harder.

"Excuse me please," I said, slipping up not being able to bear this anymore which was a big mistake as I now stood not sure where the bathrooms were, not wanting to seem like a fool walking to the wrong direction yet I could not just stand there, my eyes not picking out any doors as this restaurant was huge so I just started walking away hoping to bump to a waitress who would point me to the right direction.

I wanted to cry, my heart hurt, such humiliation. I wanted to leave, the thought of just walking out and never to look back crossing my mind. My hands badly shook, hating the shit out of all of them even though I knew that was unfair of me. Lord never had I been so humiliated, finally seeing someone.

"Hi, sorry can you please point me to the ladies room?" I asked politely.
"Take a turn then walk straight, you will see it." She said as I thanked her, moving on until I saw the door wondering why their toilets were so hidden. I walked in, the beauty inside nearly knocking me out. There were gold sinks standing on black marble tops, the floor covered in marble tiles never having seen such a beautiful ladies room. I walked up to the sink, washing my hands with nothing else to do, my eyes falling on my reflection in the mirror, my hair making me wish I could chop it off right now, my face plain and boring holding nothing against those girls, even against all the guys. I just did not even fit, someone would think I was one of their maids which they had just dragged along to be nice.

I hated this, hated feeling like this, thinking of how I had nearly just wore jeans and a t-shirt, imagine the embarrassment I would be feeling at this point. I sighed knowing that I had been in here for too long not wanting them to think I was taking a dump. I walked out, bracing myself for more of the torturous night yet no one could brace themselves for people dragging you in front of your eyes, labelling you as a brainless whore.

I could not help the sigh as the table came into view seeing that the food had arrived suddenly not feeling hungry, not even in the slightest. I took my seat, looking down at the grilled steak in front of my eyes with fries thinking that I should have probably ordered a salad or something but looking around the table I realised that no one had a salad, plates filled with food, relief washing over me. My kind of people if they were not such dicks.

"You Okay?" It was Seith leaning to me, his breath fanning my skin.

Fuck you! I wanted to say yet I swallowed not wanting to cause a scene in front of all these people.

" Yeah," I said not even sparing him a look as his eyes lingered on me for a second before turning around back to the conversation which I did not even bother following as I ate one fry at a time, my mind drifting off not wanting to be here at all. I held my smile which was hard to do but what could I do, taking sips of my second glass of wine wishing it could just knock me out at this point.

"So how did you get yourself in the most wanted list?" Came a question making my head snap up, finding all eyes on me, placing the glass I held down suddenly feeling uncomfortable with all their eyes on me wishing they could just go back to mocking me.

I opened my mouth only to close it, opening it again, my eyes trailing to Seith hoping he would rescue me only to find him on the phone, looking the other direction.

Shit!

I opened my mouth again closing it after like a fish, probably looking stupid.

"They said she stole government information, double agent and she killed a police officer." One of the ladies with brown curly, healthy thick hair said with her heart shaped beautiful face stated, my heart drumming.

All eyes turned back to me, looking even more interested than before knowing there was no way they were backing out now.

I cleared my throat.

"No, it was just a mistake. Someone was framing me." I said hoping they would let it go.

"You killed an officer didn't you?" The guy with the British accent said, all heads snapping back to me.

My hands shook, not wanting to think about it, not wanting to think about it because I would start seeing the blood and the dead body and that was not good even in the slightest.

"Joshua leave my wife alone please." It was Seith turning back, placing his phone on the table, eyes falling on him and I swear I nearly smacked him for bringing me here and making fun of me with his friends.

I hated him.

"Wife,"

"Wife?"

"Wife!"

They all screamed, eyes moving from me to him then back again, opening their mouths only to close them after.
"When did this happen?" The dark skinned guy asked not believing this.

"A few days ago," Seith answered.

"Seith, what shit have you gotten yourself into?" It was Brandon speaking now.

"Is she pregnant? Did she blackmail you?" It was one of the women talking, concern written all over her face, her hand grabbing on to Seith's.

"You tramp! What did you do? We can get an annulment Seith, my firm will make sure we bury her alive." It was the brunette speaking as I sat there holding back my tears trying so hard, not being able to take this anymore. I shot up, the chair falling back, the loud clutter bouncing off the walls of the restaurant as I turned and walking away. I could not do this, knew I was being rude but hell I could not stand this!

I walked off, my heel clicking on the floor but a pair of hands suddenly span me around.

"Hey," It was Seith holding me, my eyes shooting to him holding so much venom in them even I was scared of the anger I felt making me feel as if I was losing my shit, my head buzzing, my whole body shaking.

"Fuck off!" The words left my mouth loud and clear.

"I am sorry, they are just shocked." He said politely as if not knowing what he had done, as if I was just being crazy here, all eyes now on us. My tears shimmered in my eyes yet I held them in. I would not let them fall in front of him. Did not want him to see how hurt I was.

"Let me go please, I want to go." I said my voice low yet firm.

"Come on Mel, dinner will be over soon and we can leave. This is really important." He said trying to reason, his hands on my shoulders holding me.

"No I want to go!"

He looked at me, seeing his face turn in anger, turning his eyes a dark shade, his grip suddenly hard against my skin making me flinch where I stood.

"I asked nicely, I asked nicely." He repeated, his voice firm, heading a warning. My tears slipped down my eyes, my whole body shaking seeing his eyes telling me to behave, telling me to stay in line before he let go of me, leaving me standing there watching him walk away. I quickly wiped away my tears not being able to stop my shaking body, following as he picked up my chair and sitting down. The silence filled the table, no one saying anything, the only sound coming from the cutlery meeting the plates.

Brandon said something after a while, picking up the conversation as they went back talking about something as I sat there, food untouched feeling so defeated, feeling so embarrassed and humiliated. My heart ached, bleeding, watching all around me as they went on not caring at all, the tension melting away.

The third guy stood up clearing his throat, he had jet black hair with perfectly natural tan skin, wearing a black suit that fitted him perfectly.

"If I might have your attention." He stated, all eyes falling on him, waiting to see what he had to say. All the others having knowing looks, excitement shinning out in their eyes leaving just me and the woman who sat next to the guy blank wondering what the hell was happening.

"I have invited you all here as the most important people in my life because of my beautiful girlfriend Sage." He turned to his girlfriend, looking as if he would faint yet he held her eyes, the girl in shock gazing at her boyfriend with so much love showing on her face tugging at my heart.

"Sage, I love you so much and we have been through a lot, you by my side through all the bad and good. There were times where I was sure you would leave me having done some bad things yet you were there through it all and here I am in front of all our friends to ask you..."

He took a deep breath, bending on his knee, gasps filling the air, my hand on my mouth watching this beautiful moment.

"Sage Heather Lane, would you make me the happiest men by marrying me?"

No one moved, my heart drummed looking from him to her watching as the tears trailed down her face, her whole body shaking, the man seeming to have swallowed stones I swear, white as paper just waiting for an answer, everyone waiting for an answer.

Say yes!

Say yes!

Say yes!

I kept on screaming in my head, nearly standing up and shaking the poor lady who was trying so hard to wipe away her tears with her shaking hands but failing.

"Yes!" She screamed, jumping up, her fiancé catching her with everyone clapping hands so happy and excited for the soon to be weds. I could not help my own tears of joy reminding me of all the romantic movies I have been watching, one just happening in front of my eyes. They held on to each other as if the world was ending never wanting to let go, everyone dazzled by this amazing couple, all girls in tears.

It was a happy moment in deed and I just could not help thinking of how I would never have that.