STRATEGY

I was in a state of sleep but awake and it was driving me crazy as I could feel myself tossing and turning, my body not taking it well as everything was sore yet I could not wake up. It felt like I was wasting my energy and just wanted to cry because I was so tired.

It did not take me much time to wake up with the ringing phone. I patted for it to find it on the ground, opening my eyes, the light blinded me so I closed them without even seeing who it was and just swiped right.

"Where are you?" The voice was harsh, loud and demanding.

"Tone it down, I was trying to sleep." The response came on its own without even putting much thought in to it.

"Fuck you, where are you?"

"Fuck you too, who is this anyway?" I pulled my phone back, looking at the caller ID my eyes being brutalised by the light.

"I am at Grams trying to sleep so piss off." I said back.

"What are you doing there? Get your dumb ass here now!"

"No," I replied casually sinking in the couch, getting comfortable.

"I will not tell you twice," He warned.

"No, if you want me, come and get me but to warn you, you do not want to wake Grandma because I will make a scene I swear."

"You think you are smart don't you?"

"I know I am smart asshole." I replied, getting so much confidence now that I was not in front of him yet there being this voice telling me that I will not sleep here forever and that he will kill me.

"That mouth will get you killed before the week is over."

"If I have not killed you first!" My words were firm with so much confidence, I finally felt like I was myself.

There was a long pause before he said.

"Is that a threat?"

"Yes," I said back, smiling so hard I almost jumped up and down in the couch, feeling like I just hit a checkmate.

"Well goodnight Britney." He said after which I cut the phone feeling so empowered like I could take him right now.

My mind suddenly wondered to what I would do if he called me out, leaving me in a situation of killing or being killed. This was a dangerous game I was playing, especially with the opponent being so dangerous and experienced. I had to be smart, think out the box in order to survive. One thing I knew for sure was that I would not let that rapist push me around and bully me anymore, hell no.

Tomorrow I had to start my work though, if I was to get out of here quickly I had to do my job and leave. These two weeks were just perfect as everyone was here and slip-ups were due to happen. What I had to do was shake the weaker link and the chain will start crumbling, that weaker link being none other than Thomas. That man was stupid, a bully and rattling him would get him boosting about his work and try to show me how that he is superior. I just had to play my cards right.

I pulled up the blanket, feeling sleep creeping it's way to me with a large smile spreading its way up my cheeks.

The morning came. I woke up stretching, my arms, still feeling empowered. Standing up from the couch I went to the bed to check on Grandma, she looked so peaceful, sleeping like a baby with her cute cheeks. I took out her pills, placing them on the night stand along with her reading glasses and a glass of water.

There was a knock at the door which I walked to and opened the door.
"Good morning, Grandma's still sleeping." I said kindly.

"Morning Miss Wilson," My Grandma's personal help replied.

I went to the couch, folding my blankets, putting them back where I found them before saying my goodbyes and leaving the room. I had not got such peaceful sleep in a while. I felt like a bit of myself, my courage, the pain being used as fuel for strength. 

It took ten minutes to get to the room even with the elevator, the house was so big. My steps slowed down as I neared the room. I did not know what I would find there, was he still there? And if so what would he do?

Taking a deep breath I held my head high and walked into the room to find it empty, all the windows wide open, wind blowing in, sending the curtains dancing around. It just felt airy and fresh. I released a breath I had not known I held, relief. No matter what I told myself you could never be prepared for an encounter with Mr Rosewood.

I walked around to the bathroom, turning the water in the large shower and letting them run as I sat down, taking care for my business then went brushing my teeth. Looking up, I took my time looking at myself on the mirror, seeing the marks on my face, mapping them out with my finger.  They did not hurt anymore and surely by the end of the two weeks they would have fully disappeared. Sighing, I turned, taking my wash towel from the hook and placing it on the hook in the shower feeling, the temperature of the water on my skin to find it hot enough. I took off my clothes then walked in the shower.

I turned around, letting the warm water massage my back while I rolled my neck around, feeling the tension ease away. I poured shampoo on my hands, moving my hands all over my skin, feeling it get slippery from the shampoo. The water ran down on the silky skin, moving in lines down, getting to places that one could never reach. I pushed my head back, closing my eyes while turning the tap and letting more water run down my body. It never felt so good to take a shower, I wanted nothing more than to sleep here. The water was just so warm and comforting.

It was an hour later when I walked out with the water getting a little bit cold. Pulling the big fluffy towel, I wrapped it around my body, wearing the bath slippers then placing my old cloths in the washing bin before walking to the room. It was a bit nippy in the room from the fresh air from outside. I quickly got dressed in black leggings along with a grey knitted jersey, I went back to the bathroom, pulling a drawer by my sink. I took out my makeup, placing it on the granite top. If I was to play this game with Thomas he had to think that I was being treated like a queen because if he knew Mr Rosewood did not give two fucks about me then my plan would go down the drain.

It took some time to cover everything up while still looking as natural as possible. I went back to the room after tiding everything up, putting it back in my drawer. My feet were a little cold so I picked out my pink fluffy socks, pulling on my grey indoor sleepers. My tummy growled making it known that it was quite late, way past my breakfast time.

I made my way downstairs while reading the newspaper from my phone, checking on headlines. I walked to the dining room, finding the women standing up, taking their kids, specifically Ashley.

"Morning," I said as Ashley passed staring at her feet as always. She said a morning back which I barely heard really. I turned back, watching her and the kids as they scurried away. Looking back, my eyes were met with a pair of dull grey eyes from none other than Thomas, a huge grin spreading at his face. I did not waste my time on him but let my eyes travel to Mr Rosewood who sat at the head of the table, wearing a blank polo neck with a leathery black rider's jacket, the chair next to him vacant. My heart started drumming, not in a good way, my hands quivered while my palms went sweaty.

"I can do this," I tried to encourage myself, my feet seeming a bit heavier. Holding my head up I continued walking, telling myself that I had to do this, I had to be brave. So I walked around the table, leaning towards Mr Rosewood where I patted my lips against his right cheek.

"Good morning," my voice sounded like something the cat could drag from hell. I felt him go still and rigid, so rigid I thought he would fall off the chair. I pulled back, straightening up and giving myself a big thumbs up as a smile spread across my face, my heart beating from my throat.

I walked around him, sitting next to him. My eyes travelled to the two cousins who could not move their eyes from us, assessing how deep this was.

"Good job Melissa," I internally told myself before grabbing the cup of coffee and pouring myself a cup then sitting back with my cup by my lips. My eyes travelled to the two as I sipped on my coffee. It was Phil who spoke up first after clearing his voice and sitting up.

"Morning Britney,"

Pride, so much pride, girl I could do this. I was on top of my game.

"Morning Phil, how are you on this beautiful morning?" I asked taking another sip after.

"Good, if you guys may excuse me I have business to take care of." He said, standing up and nodding his head in respect to Mr Rosewood before walking away, followed by his wife and kids. My eyes turned to Thomas who seemed like he would chew me up and spit me out right here.

Thomas stood up raspingly, pushing the chair harshly than necessary, causing it to scrape the floor with so much noise made. He stormed off, throwing some tantrum I guess.

"Thomas!" Mr Rosewood called his name in such a way that even I felt chills run down my spine. Thomas paused where he was, just standing there weighing his options, I could almost see the wheels turning in his head. I sat back, drinking my coffee while watching this unfold.

Slowly the man with the bulging tummy turned, looking as if he was about to burst. He bowed his head in respect getting a flick of a hand from Mr Rosewood. I could see him having an inner turmoil thinking of acting out but then deciding it was not worth him losing his life so he turned and made his way out.

I put my cup down feeling so hungry , standing up I grabbed a plate seeing so much food on the table not even sure where to start. I really wanted the fresh croissants, but the beacon looking so good with those juicy sausages. Not being able to make up my mind I picked up two croissants, scooped as much beacon as I could with those sausages then added some fresh cherry tomatoes and onions for that fresh taste. I sat back down digging in my food, not paying mind to the evil man sitting next to me. I was half way through my dish when he spoke up.

"Do not ever touch me again unless you have permission." He said firmly not even looking at me.

I wanted to tell him to go screw himself, wanted to tell him I did not need permission to do anything that I would do whatever I want whenever I wanted. I wanted to do that so bad but knew that I had been lucky all along and that this could easily hit the fan, I had to thread carefully. Swallowing I nodded my head then continued eating.

His eyes were still on me, I could feel their sting so I looked up, finding him giving me a calculating look then shook his head, standing up and leaving me there wondering what was going up in that head of his.