79

They begin the painfully long drive home later that day. Jungkook plays some lofi music at a low volume and holds Jimin's hand.

"Did you like your birthday vacation?"

Jimin nods and smiles. "It was amazing. Thank you..."

Jungkook grins. "You honestly take my breath away. Ever since I met you, my heart has skipped so many beats."

"You're so romantic..."

Jungkook chuckles and coughs lightly. His forehead creases and he takes his hand away from Jimin's to rub his chest. "I think I might be getting a cold or something."

Jimin frowns. "Do you want to stop at a gas station to get some water?"

He nods. "Yeah. We'll get off at the next exit."

A few minutes later they pull into a gas station and park. Jimin can hear that Jungkook's breaths are short and harsh. "Are you okay?"

Jungkook nods. "My chest just feels a bit tight. I think I just have a cough."

"I'll go get you some water."

"Thank you."

While Jimin is inside, Jungkook feels the pressure in his test grow. He doesn't know if he's imagining things, but his heart beats feel irregular.

Whenever there's a long pause between beats, he grows light headed. He's so preoccupied with the strange feeling that he doesn't notice Jimin getting back into the car. "Kookie?"

Jungkook acknowledges him with a small wave, inhaling sharply and clutching his chest.

Jimin sets the water down and grabs Jungkook's shoulder. "Jungkook? What's happening? Are you okay?"

Jungkook barely manages to get his words out. "My heart feels weird."

Jimin's eyes grow wide. "Switch seats with me. I-I can drive you to a hospital."

Jungkook shakes his head but continues clutching his chest. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. I'm being serious. Heart issues are very scary."

"Really, I'm fine–"

"Switch seats with me right fucking now or I will break up with your ass and leave you on the side of the Interstate."

-

Jimin goes 90mph down the Interstate even though the speed limit is 70.

He only starts slowing down when he gets near the exit that leads to the nearest hospital he could find. He pulls into the parking garage and picks the spot closest to the door.

He grips Jungkook's arm tightly as they walk into the ER. After waiting in a line for a few minutes, they finally get him checked into a room.

Jungkook looks around the room nonchalantly as they hook him up to a machine that monitors his vitals. Jimin stands next to the doctor as his heart beat starts showing up on the screen.

Jimin's nerves aren't at all calmed by the worried look on the doctors face as he writes down the pattern of his heart beat. "We... need to run a few tests, but he's experiencing some for of arrhythmia."

Jimin gulps and looks at the doctor with wide eyes. "What is that?"

"Irregular heartbeat. It can be life-threatening if not closely monitored, so you made the right call by coming here."

Jimin looks at Jungkook and starts to tear up. "I told you you weren't okay..."

Jungkook looks just as worried as the doctor. "I'm sorry, what do you mean by 'life-threatening'?"

"If you heart rate slows down too much, you could have a heart attack. Arrhythmia can result in sudden death."

Jungkook looks down at his lap for a few seconds. "What kind of tests are you going to run?"

"We're probably going to do an electrocardiogram or EKG to measure your heart's electrical patterns followed with an MRI to visualize any possible changes in your heart's structure."

Jimin sniffles and crosses his arms. "How long will they take and are any of those surgical?"

"The EKG will last 10 minutes and the MRI should take about 30 minutes. Neither of them are invasive."

"Okay... thank you..."

-