Chapter 49: The Love We Wanted

Hey guys, I'm so sorry for not updating this past year. In all honesty, I had been completing my High School Certificate--in America that would be the equivalent to Senior Year. So yeah, it's been a really important year, but I've gotten into my first choice of university (college equivalent) to pursue writing professionally (yay!). I know it's been a really long time, but for those of you still out there that follow my work, I'd like to give you a resolution after these years just for you. I'll be working more on Party Party as I've just completed by first semester. Thank you to everyone who's encouraged me to keep going.

I wouldn't be here if not for you.

***

Spades' Perspective

It was the late evening.

The moon had just risen above the towering sky scrapers that lightly touched the sky with glimmering hope, the sun sunken below lively shores of drunken sailors and merchants alike. I'd spent half the day going through file after file, drawer after drawer, looking for any trace of the girl with the rabbit hood. 

I'd already guessed, however, all the records had been destroyed. 

A man destroyed by love is a dangerous beast. 

I continued down the narrow halls of the precinct, giving contrite 'how are you's' and 'good evening's, acting as a constant reminder of how everything once was. See, the pain of having memories meant that the significance of the world around you becomes a much more vibrant place. For better or for worse.

And for some people, for the deadliest, nastiest, most scornful feelings arise from just a color.

"I hate it here, I always have." Kei grumbles, arching his back to stifle a yawn.

Near the top of Nox's 12th precinct, lie memories. Cages and cells remain shut and closed, prisoners wasting away to bones. It's where we keep our most dangerous enemies, including those that threaten our heads.

And apparently our hearts.

"I hate it too." I agree, stepping into the cell for the first time in two years, give or take. "We still haven't gotten that wall patched up, huh?"

"Nope." Kei lazily slumps towards the opening in the wall, peering down into the glitzy abyss. "How long has it been since we've seen her last--"

"Stop it. You're only going to make it worse on yourself."

He stays silent.

"She's gone, Kei." I say slowly. "Wherever she is now, she's free. With us, she died. Over and over again. The person you knew died in this cell, or better yet, before we chose North over her--"

"Before Atlas chose North over her--"

"What do you want me to say, Kei?" I grit my teeth. "Deam is dead. We should've realized it the day she gave up her hood and sword for a dress and heels."

"What?" Kei scorns. "And you resent her for that, do you?"

I had to remain silent.

"Don't act like your fucking above this, Spades. You miss her. The old her."

"And so what if I do? What can I do about that?" I shout back, flashes of Deam in every life she's had show themselves before me. "She's changed. Of course she has, we all have. It's called fucking progression, you fuckwit. Deam never got a chance to live, Kei. Her parents died, her lover put her second, we were her only family and we put her second. Maybe she's out there with someone who finally fucking put her first."