Chapter 43: Ace of Clover

Time Skip — 3 Years

Deam 21 — 24

***

The sunlight that streams through the ajar curtain leaves me with a fuzzy feeling. Rolling in my bed, I stop only slightly to shift backwards against the wooden wall that corners of my mattress—avoiding crushing my entire world.

A small, small world.

"Clover, time to wake up."

Once of the biggest struggles I'd ever had in my life turned out not be over throwing a kingdom or destroying a whole town—those came easily to me. No, the biggest struggle I'd ever endured was picking a baby name. My baby girl had come all too quickly, and I'd found myself at a loss for words as she came into my life.

It's only then that I'd found a suitable name. A name dedicated to one of my best friends of a long time ago—whom had probably long kept me away from his thoughts.

Clover had my bright white hair—which I'd long grown accustomed to dyeing blue. At the moment my natural white protruded far past my shoulders, fading into a light sky blue. Clover's white hair trails down past her jaw in pretty little curls, lining rosy cheeks while complimenting eyes that she inherited from her father.

Staring at her would become one of my pastimes, which Merrick had assured me was something all mother's did with their children. My girl took right after me—a kicker. I was in crippling pain all throughout the 8 months she was inside me—she was premature by one month, but was deemed stable by a doctor in Constellatio. Since then she's grown up into a fine impulsive little brat, pretty much a duplicate of me when I was a child.

Her short little babbles soon evolved into outright bad language—Osian and Merrick probably the source of that dictionary. Quoting her, Coda was a 'two-bit scaled little bitch who couldn't fly further than I could throw him'.

Yep, definitely my child through and through.

Lying on my elbow, I flinch only slightly when the door to my room opens.

"Deam, I'm taking Clovey for breakfast."

Rising onto my elbows, I watch as a calm figure strides toward my bedside—confident as anything. Althea had grown into a beautiful teenager, with short raven hair cut to her shoulders and the same stark green eyes that she shared with her niece.

"Thanks, Althea."

"You should rest. You know we're docking today."

"I know." I nod wearily, earning a worried look from my gorgeously thoughtful sister-in-outlaw.

Today was the day, after three years and a bit, that we'd have arrived back at Stellarum.

As I peered outside, the outskirts and pier side of Valhalli hadn't seemed to have changed one bit. Minus the worrying amount of gaunt faces and tireless workers. Lively bars littered the dock, stragglers seemed to be accosted by drinkers at every corner—excited to haul in their next alcohol addicts.

This is definitely no place for children.

I think to myself the words that Merrick had told to me oh so long ago. I proceed to change into my day clothes, a plain white blouse, blue denim jeans and a navy vest with a hoodie in the shape of a rabbit.